Anyone talk to me about ECU's?

LSA9K

Have read a lot lately but the ECU is still a cloud in my head

Few mods planned so far:

Skunk2 Inlet

CAF with an arm intake or ITR air box

New manifold 4-2-1

Fully Decat and complete new exhaust

Those are just the base without getting into ITR Cams and springs etc but with just the above will I need a new ECU and why?

Shouldn't matter to the ecu if you don't have the iab valves opening, signal will be there but just not used. Car will run but fuelling won't be optimum. With all those mods at once, I'd recon you'd need a remap, so a chipped P30/28/72 would suit well. The ecu's not a huge cost, but a good map is. Next best thing is a 'remote' map from somewhere like H-tune. That'll take your mods into account, but all engines are different.

You'll make the best of the mods you have with a mapped ECU which for these means a new unit with a chip so it can be mapped, bit awkward to get set up but once done re-maps later on are easier to deal with!

Socketed ecu as above, widband o2 sensor,burn2 moates burner spare eproms and crome downloaded to adjust rpm vtec iabs of/on ect.

thats the theory anyway  :???:

oh and a steady hand if diy soldering :oops:

so where is the best place to get a ecu from?? and the best place to map it..?

For a GOOD remap I'd advise you to use daz at endless horizon in Northampton!

Will get you good gains and better fuel consumption!!!

I have a very similar set up on my MB ( type r cams, skunk 2 inlet,skunk 2 70mm throttle body, 4-1 manifold,de-cat,cold air induction kit,full exhaust) currently I'm running a stock B18C4 ecu and she runs sweet as a nut with no engine management light on,drives fine and all I did was plug in the vacuum valve for the 2 stage inlet which is all you'll have left over from changing the inlet manifold :)

As for ECU though - on the 2nd of September Performance Auto Works are fitting me a Hondata S300 ecu with slight wiring mods and then tuning the whole car on a dyno.i would recommend getting yours re mapped as I do feel mine is slightly holding back due to the amount of mods carried out. Ultimately it will run better with a re map! I'll let you know how I get on and then I'll be in a better place to advice ;)

• Like 3