Temp gauge and cooling fans

Roylewaa

Had a bit of a bottom twitching moment this afternoon, I was waiting in traffic and happened to glance at my temp gauge and was surprised to see it at 3/4, never seen a honda temp gauge go above just below half before

I sat and watched it rise to just above 3/4 expecting it to start to drop when fans kicked in which is usually accompanied by a slight judder from the car but nothing.

Panicked now I revved the engine and immediately after I do that the temp starts to drop, then I left it to idle again and it started to creep up again, by now I switched the engine off when it was about just under half a centimetre from the red line

Then when the engine was off I could hear the cooling fan running but not at a fast pace

Is this normal? There is no coolant usage and it was sitting just above max in the expansion tank

Sounds like you may have an issue with the cooling system somewhere.

have you done anywork on it lately. Possible airlock. Are both rad hoses hot when upto temp?

Has waterpump and thermostat been changed ever?

When your revving it its circulating better hence its cooling affect

I have this same problem with mine, so if you find the solution, please post it up! I pooped myself when I pulled over to answer the phone, looked down a while into the conversation to see it touching the red! Hung up and set off again straight away, and the temp dropped relatively quickly...

• Like 1

I've done nothing to the cooling system, apart from topping up from min to max in the expansion tank day I got the car

I've just been out in it again and the fans do stop the temp from going into the red, it stops about half a centimetre before and holds there

Soon as I rev engine or drive off it drops quite quickly back to just below half where it stays there all the time whilst being driven

Theyres no mention of cambelt or thermostat in the history

I have noticed heaters are only quite warm at idle, soon as you rev engine or drive off they come through red hot

I've not checked hoses, I will do tomorrow, is the thermostat relatively easy to change? It does get up to operating temp very quickly, in around 5 minutes

I really don't want to be having to put a cambelt and water pump on yet, I did all that to my last car, over 500 quids worth for the engine to go a month later

Some comfort to know i'm not alone, I was hoping this was normal with the 1.4 :(

I will change it tomorrow and see if that cures it

Guy over the road who used to be a honda tech reckons its the stat, although he said it was at the back of the engine, from bottom hose

I thought its at the front left, where top hose goes into?

I've just been out for a spirited drive, all the while temp sat bang on just under half, heaters nice and hot

Upon checking the hoses, top hose was red hot, bottom just very warm, should they both be the same temperature?

No massive pressurising when I undid the rad cap

Do t worry mine builds up to 3/4 when sat still in hot weather it will drop a little once the fan kicks in but not by much, whilst driving about it sits around the 1/4 mark,

The thermostat will be on the top hose the same as every other car,

You could try changing the thermostat or bleed the cooling system see if they helps....

Cheers Paul, I've probably gotten myself chewed up for nowt

A few months ago I had a Zafira, I threw loads of money into it, getting engine work done, and when I was £600 lighter it started knocking with streetfulls of blue smoke so lost on it big time when I sold it

Really don't want a headache from my Civic as I went back to Honda because of their reputation and my past civics/accords giving me no grief at all