Temp gauge and cooling fans

Roylewaa

Cheers Paul, I've probably gotten myself chewed up for nowt

A few months ago I had a Zafira, I threw loads of money into it, getting engine work done, and when I was £600 lighter it started knocking with streetfulls of blue smoke so lost on it big time when I sold it

Really don't want a headache from my Civic as I went back to Honda because of their reputation and my past civics/accords giving me no grief at all

thermostats on our mb2`s are left hand side of the block behind the distributor! follow bottom hose and it will bring you too the thermostat housing 2 10 mm bolts takes the housing apart and voila behold the thermostat staring at you hope this helps :)

Thanks mate, yeah lad over the road pointed it out last week, I thought it was from the top hose but its not

The problem seems to have fixed itself now, the car was stood for a couple of months before I bought it so might have caused it to stick

I did buy a thermostat which is in the boot, if it creeps past halfway on the gauge again I will change it straight away:)

Thanks mate, yeah lad over the road pointed it out last week, I thought it was from the top hose but its not

The problem seems to have fixed itself now, the car was stood for a couple of months before I bought it so might have caused it to stick

I did buy a thermostat which is in the boot, if it creeps past halfway on the gauge again I will change it straight away:)

wouldnt worry bout it going to half way as my mates civic sits at half all of the time and his car is sweet. dont fix aint broke lol famous quote :)

Strange I've had loads of hondas. And always sit at about 1/3 no matter what the conditions. Ive always been pretty on the ball with maintenance tho. Regular coolant, thermostat change etc..

But does sound like the stat if it happens again

Theyres been no loss of coolant, apart from I overfilled the expansion bottle so it was way over the max line

Since that episode it's obviously vented the overfill and it sits on max now, or it's had an airlock and its burped itself hence the level dropping

I'm not concerned as they're is no smoke, No pressuring and heaters are red hot

• 2 weeks later...

Well she had another hormonal fit this afternoon

Drove continuously for about an hour with no problems, then turn into my estate to come home and I literally watched the temp gauge start to climb, knocked the engine off when it went past 3/4, popped the bonnet no fans going, expansion bottle is full to the top with traces of coolant on around it and on the plastic scuttle underneath the radiator

I'd already bought a new thermostat so thought might as well change it now

I've just changed the stat, old one tested and was opening, slower than the new one though

It was an absolute pain to bleed the system but got there in the end

Ran the engine on the drive for over an hour fans kicking in now nicely

My concern is the coolant is quite frothy at the rad cap and there seems to be constant bubbles, yet temp is now stable at under 1/2

Is that normal? On a plus though my heaters are now blisteringly hot, I literally can't keep my hand held over the vents

I had the front of the car elevated and the heaters on hot with no fans on

Yes so far so good, only time will tell though as it was one of those annoying intermittent faults

I foolishly unplugged the temp sender which has put the eml on, doh :/

My biggest fear is head gasket failure, although surely if it was that it would overheat all of the time, this is the 2nd time in just over a month