MC1 Aerodeck... high-up water leaks down the inside body panels in the boot

jamezzz

Sounds like a plan. Want to get this sorted asap before the cold weather and misting issues begin.

i have leaks in my mb6, misting has already become an issue :/ mine leaks at the screen like everyone elses and in throgh my n/s/r light cluster ;/ ill get round to it one day

Haven't had a chance to investigate the roof bars/strips area being the culprit. But was out at my original soon to be scrapped MC1 last night to get a tool from the boot and seeing as I have all the boot linings out following the strut removal, I thought I'd check the leaks on it too, that I never fixed. With the lining out and the 24 hours of solid rain, the pools and runs are in EXACTLY the same place as on my new MC1!!! Both sides, with a single run down the inside of the rear quarter panel, from up high in the concealed sections, approx 6" in from the rear corners of the car! I'm convinced it's the roof bar gutters, but I have two MC1's with boot leaks in the same place, so surely another forum member will have had and identified the source of these severe boot leaks?!

mine leaks from the panels behind the lights, rather than under the rear glass, but still think that it's coming from the rails. 

I'd been reading around on the web to try and find an answer, and found that jazz's have problems with leaks from there, and the description sounded like the same thing.

mine leaks from the panels behind the lights, rather than under the rear glass, but still think that it's coming from the rails. 

I'd been reading around on the web to try and find an answer, and found that jazz's have problems with leaks from there, and the description sounded like the same thing.

Thanks for your input! Definitely my first place to check. Sure I saw a roof rail removal guide on the forum somewhere too.

It seems that is a commom problem in this honda models... my deck also suffers from the same thing...

The water in my deck is getting in by the rubber around the rear side windows... I´m thinking in drill little holes in the spare tire space to let the water goes direct to the street...Z

• 3 weeks later...

Problem solved! After much investigation my leaks are fixed! It was not the roof rails. Took them off and all the mounting points and pegs are part of the body shell - so no possible entry for water what so ever. The water was coming in through the white bumper brackets, sunroof drain ends and the top and bottom window pegs. These pegs must locate the rear side windows correctly in the factory while they are being sealed.

Bought some black UPol Tiger Seal silicone off Ebay for £6 delivered. I took the headling down, made sure the 4 sunroof drainholes were unblocked and put sealant on the tips before putting the pipes back on. I then sealed around the sunroof drain ends in the boot, along with the bumper brackets and that side vent flap thing on the left hand side. I then took out the tail-lights and sealed around the rubber bungs that brings the wiring into the car. I also sealed around the washer jet pipe bung and the tailgate wiring bung. Then I masked around the rear side windows and the bodywork surrounding them. I then applied sealant around the windows into the gap, smoothing it with my finger as I went along, like siliconing the bath. The finish looks great and you would never notice the factory hadn't done this. My MC1 is navy blue which helps I guess.

After all this, I have a dry boot at last! My car smells very chemically just now, but hopefully this will pass. With the cold weather due this week and the misting issues that come with it, I'm glad I did this now. Not a great deal of work. The headlining drop was surprisingly easy too.

• Thanks 1