MB6 tuning

spudley1988

Cheers alastair :) also gives me faith in the readings if similar mods on your mates gives around same power. Don't get me wrong with the vtec situation I didn't gain a lot of bhp with it set lower it just seems to deliver it better. Set at 4800 the graph was quite jaggy, but lowering it gave a very smooth power curve which reflects in road driving. Suprisingly so far fuel has been ok lol, at a downside here anyway as it's a lot of gear changes and stopping and starting, don't really get a chance to stretch it's legs lol.

Yea id imagine the de-cat and mongoose would prob be helping a fair whack, not sure how much a lightened flywheel would have helped if any along with sports clutch.

The flywheel would help the acceleration as it'll spin up quicker but wouldn't affect the power output! :) 

Good right up mate .. Defo worth a look at getting one of these and having it set up properly ..

Just for a comparison, my C4 has a skunk2 inlet, 4-1 exhuast mani, then straight through 2.5" and was dyno'd @ 189 ..

Possibly an AFC Neo set up correctly could push it closer to the 200 mark ...

Also, in the type r's vtec is normally lowered in what i have seen .. Is it just the M's that normally go higher?

The M in standard form has VTEC kick in at 4800rpm which is why it gets raised, in a Type R it's something like 6500rpm so they lower it so get it earlier and raise ours to mimic the Type R, both usually end up around 5000rpm after being mapped.

Though on the K20 engines they do lower the cross-over point to about 3800rpm on a map! But that's a different kettle of fish!

I had requested to have my vtec point set lower, as to have quicker vtec stepping in for overtaking etc. They said the best way is to have it come in, once, but at 5000rpm. I went with what they wanted as there the proffesionals..apparantly! It would make sense to me, to have vtec come in earlier to exploit more of the power...with the negative side effect of more fuel usage.

I'm thinking the same way, my common sense says that by setting the vtec engagement lower would give more more power on lower rpm and the same on high rpm as a higher engagement point. So better all-around performance, just the kick would be less aggressive. And fuel consumption more :wink: . But i very rarely go over 4000 when just cruising from a to b so i don't think it would hurt. And when flooring it, who cares about mileage!!!

I'm thinking the same way, my common sense says that by setting the vtec engagement lower would give more more power on lower rpm and the same on high rpm as a higher engagement point. So better all-around performance, just the kick would be less aggressive. And fuel consumption more :wink: . But i very rarely go over 4000 when just cruising from a to b so i don't think it would hurt. And when flooring it, who cares about mileage!!!

I'm the same, a fair bit of the driving I do is in town so can't drive fast so usually change between 3-4000rpm at the most!  

I'm the same, a fair bit of the driving I do is in town so can't drive fast so usually change between 3-4000rpm at the most!  

Same here, lots of short journeys where I don't get chance to open it up, so it when I do get chance it goes right the way round and sod the fuel.  :lol:

whp is what it's all about and 167bhp at the wheels must make it a pretty sharp thing!

That's 30whp more than mine is putting out at the minute. I'd be pretty happy with that sort of power lol

Can't help but think it's a figure happy dyno. Not that it matters it is what it is. But 167 whp is very high for a c4. Possibly they use calculation to work the figure out too.