Steve's MB2 - MG ZS Trim installed at last (Pics page 3)

casasteve

So I bought an MB2 from a friend at the weekend.  It's a W plate 1.4i S with 96k miles, and it cost me £300.  It has a few issues that need to be looked at.  

Primarily the brakes need attention.  My friend had a seized calliper late last year which his local garage sorted.  Since then the brakes have been spongy.  The garage bled them but it didn't seem to fix the issue so they say it needs a new master cylinder.

Other than this, it needs a cam belt change, as it's some miles past it's due date.

And so I'm slowly getting ideas for things I'd like to do with this car.  I'm not planning anything too major.  I'd like to tidy up a few things and improve some others.  So far my planned fix and mod list (which I'll be adding too) is this...

To Fix/check out:

Brakes/Master cylinder

Cam belt

Rear washer jet not working

Heater 1&2 not working (new resistor pack in the post)

Gear box feels a little slack

Boot carpet fixings

Upgrades and mods wishlist:

Jazz/Xsara washer jets

VTI or equivalent centre arm rest

Cup holders

VTI front lip

Front bumper rub strip (or whatever) refurb

VTI seats/interior

Re-spray wiper arms

Front strut brace

smoke/clear side repeaters

Money is tight, so this is probably going to be a long one  :roll:

I'll take some better photos soon.

http://i.imgur.com/JxmtMU4.jpg

Just looking on that link, looks like a clean motor! :)

Most of the little niggly problems are pretty common. The gear stick on my MB3 feels pretty slack and the rear boot lining is all over the place. But they're all easy stuff to sort out!

Nice bargain, I think the brake problem is unlikely to be the master cylinder, more likely a corroded brake pipe or they weren't bled properly. They need to be bled in the right order starting from furthest away from the cylinder.

Also did they replace both calipers?

I don't think they replaced the callipers.  I have the paperwork somewhere so I'll have a dig through and figure out what they did.

Any advice on fixing the rear washer jet?  I've seen it spit out a tiny amount of water but generally it does nothing (makes all the right noises).

I don't think they replaced the callipers.  I have the paperwork somewhere so I'll have a dig through and figure out what they did.

Any advice on fixing the rear washer jet?  I've seen it spit out a tiny amount of water but generally it does nothing (makes all the right noises).

Is the washer bottle full? When the water gets below a certain level the rear is the first to stop spraying water before the fronts! Though I had to get mine cleared with an air line because the nozzle was blocked!  

Thanks for the tip, I'll check the levels at lunchtime.  Previous owner said that its not worked in the 18 months he had the car, but no telling if he actually filled the washer bottle much ;)

A stupid question about the front strut brace - will this actually make a big difference to handling?  I don't really sling the car around much, I've only been driving 5 months so the confidence isn't that high!  :grin: I have, however, noticed how easily she will under steer if pushed slightly.  I assume a strut would help a bit with this.

Also, I've read mixed information regarding fitting one.  Is there a simple bolt on brace I can get or do I need to retrofit one off an MB6 or something?