Steve's MB2 - MG ZS Trim installed at last (Pics page 3)

casasteve

Just got to remember the order, n/s rear, o/s rear, n/s front, o/s front (and got to remember that near side is passenger side ;))

Easiest way to remember is near side = nearest the curb as you drive (On the left, not on the right playing chicken or on the path thinking you're playing GTA!). :)

• Like 1

You are really spending away here on nice goodies... ;)

I really like the look of those alloys, I'd personally go for them but do what is best for you :)

EDIT: And being 15" tyres, they shouldn't be much more money than the 14" tyres on your car 

So, an interesting evening of mechanical tinkering...

First, went for the oil change. All fine, until I come to swap the filter. The new filter I have seems to be the wrong size. Typical. So I left the old one on (thankfully its from October so not too bad).

Then transmission fluid. It took a few minutes to identify the refill bolt, but got it figured out and changed it with no issues.

Then it was into the brakes. This is where the fun started. First, the screws holding the disc to the hub were pretty knackered. I had to drill one out. Got them off and took calipers and mounts off. Pads were difficult to get out, lots of rust on everything but got it all disassembled. Calipers seemed OK, fitted the new front discs and pads on both sides and reassembled.

We were running a bit low on time at this point as things had taken longer than expected. So I made the executive decision to skip the rears for now. So, brake bleeding. Surprisingly that went well too :) I saw some air come out so I was hopeful.

So got everything put back together but I seem to have a problem with the near side front. Looks like the disc is rubbing quite loudly on the pad or something. Its catching as the wheel turns. I was hoping it'd stop after driving a bit but doesn't seem to be the case.

Also, my brake pedal is still spongey, so I think the master cylinder is screwed. Its a little better but not much.

On the plus side, the gear box feels smother, as does the engine :)

So, not 100% successful, but definitely a learning experience.

I'll post a few photos tomorrow. The underside of the car looks to be reasonably OK :)

Only changed the front discs/pads, and yep, wound the callipers right back.  We didn't grease the backs of the pads, they seemed to have a thin rubber pad (like, a 1mm thing) which we thought would be the anti-squeal surface.  I may disassemble them and copper grease the pads.  I'd also like to replace the calliper mounts as they're pretty crusty/rusty (though structurally fine). Seems to brake OK, considering new discs/pads.

Also, bled back to front in the correct order, topped up the brake fluid as we were doing it.