Shafz's NHB '02 EP3 Type R Build!

Shafzzz

Hi!

As you may or may not know I currently own a BMW 325i SE (see build here: http://civic5.com/forum/index.php?/topic/8218-shafzzz-bmw-325i-e90-grandadspec-build/) , and although a really good daily driver and a car I'll always respect for how capable it is, at the young age of 21 I realised I'd rather have the hot hatches and the like now, and I can always own a BMW later - so I've currently SORN'd it and gone and bought.. this!

550e27e3-d098-4624-9de0-6daa67b793ad_zps

My 2002 Honda Civic Type R EP3, non AC model as I wanted (weight saving), and in Nighthawk black, barely run in at just 105k miles with FSH to 96k!

Upon purchasing the car, it obviously had a few niggles as every used car does, so I set about sorting them straight away. It undertook an oil and filter service a few days after I got it then whilst the common driveshaft heatshield rattle on the EP3 was addressed, I realised one of the bolts that hold the driveshafts bearing onto the car had snapped, not good, but it wasn't rattling so was temporarily fixed till I ordered a new halfshaft (arriving tomorrow). I then addressed the terrible headlight bulbs with LED sidelights from my BMW's standard headlights, and some H4 bulbs that surprisingly had survived 3 years from my first starlet back in 2011!

b85cd77c-44ec-461f-ba3e-4bd01058fb5d_zps

When I bought the car it needed four new discs and pads, so I went for MTEC Grooved discs and Mintex pads as they have a sale going on currently due to having a new website, these will be fitted at the same time as the new driveshaft...

Upon going to a meet in it, my car started to get louder and louder, upon further inspection the exhaust was blowing! As I'd intended to change it anyway, an M2 catback system was ordered (buddy club spec III replica) and will be fitted hopefully this week. I then had to address my biggest issue with the car. The standard audio. It was terrible, no clarity or bass, the stock speakers felt extremely underpowered and could not produce bass nor vocals at the same time.

I went for the Pioneer DEH-X5600BT headunit with the black fascia for EU/EP civics (as I recommended to @Roj and he runs in his MB6 and loves it.. I think)

Vibe 8AWG Wiring kit

and my 'legendary' sub as I should say.. Roj can explain why.

fbee9acc-e512-40c5-a789-dc98250a2a97_zps

bb3e3716-1d29-4299-b7fa-380e87bafa0c_zps

Some more pictures!

450634c0-e348-4472-8f06-abca152584a9_zps

Both my cars together.

42679935-29cd-4478-8217-2015b1aedbba_zps

Autotrader advert picture of the car.

Current mod list:

- True 2.5" Straight Through Custom Exhaust 

- MTEC Grooved Discs + Mintex Pads

- Red Brake Calipers

- Polybushed JDM EP3 Rear Anti-Roll Bar with HardRace Droplinks

- LED Lighting Upgrade

- Pioneer DEH-X5600BT with some other Audio bits

- Blacked out inner headlights 

- Not really a mod but the difference it made was incredible so Uniroyal Rainsport3 Tyres

- Carbon Fibre OEM style Spoiler

- 6000k HID Bi Xenons

- TEIN S-Tech Lowering Springs

- Honda S2000 Intake Setup

- OEM Flush Mount Front Foglights

- Window Tint

- Alcantara Gear Gaiter

- Eibach Camber Bolts and FRSU

To do list

- Fit carbon fibre bonnet

- Fit carbon fibre spoiler

- Tint the windows

- Rear Diffuser fins

THE PLAN:

- K100 + Map

- PLM headers

But yeah that's the start of the build, might take it slow as I've only had it 2 weeks..

Shafz.

• Like 1

Finally you put up a build thread! :P Can't wait to see this for real. About time you got a Honda.

Yeah the headunit is good. That's 3 of us who has it now. :P

That sub will shake the rust off every Vauxhall parked near you.

• Like 1

Love the EP3, looks decent for it's age!

Standard speakers are poor to put it nicely! Good call on changing them! How was the fascia to fit when you changed the headunit? Did you have to trim it at all?

Finally you put up a build thread! :P Can't wait to see this for real. About time you got a Honda.

Yeah the headunit is good. That's 3 of us who has it now. :P

That sub will shake the rust off every Vauxhall parked near you.

@Roj I wanna run against you at pod in this, would be good I reckon, and haha yeah the headunits awesome and the sub gets me some stares..

Looking good mate!!

Love the pre's  ..

Bet it makes a bit of difference from the beemer!

Thanks mate, I prefer the prefacelift too to be honest, seems angrier and is a bit raw due to less sound deadening, huge difference to the beemer as I was driving them back to back for a few days and it took a while to re adjust to either car, both have their good points and bad points though!

Love the EP3, looks decent for it's age!

Standard speakers are poor to put it nicely! Good call on changing them! How was the fascia to fit when you changed the headunit? Did you have to trim it at all?

Thanks man, for 12 years old and 105k it really is in decent nick, the steering wheel obviously shows the miles but I plan to refurb it as I do rather like the stock wheel and I don't think an aftermarket wheel would suit the type R-ness.

The speakers are incredibly underpowered compared to my sub, although if I turn my sub off and just use speakers they are adequate, better than the BMWs speakers were standard anyway. The fascia was easy to fit and it doesn't fit 100% flush (top right corner pokes out maybe 1mm) but I didn't feel the need to dremel it etc as other people on forums do!

The same as when I fitted a head unit into my brothers EU then! He's not fussed either though, good job because he wasn't paying me enough.....or at all :lol:

I prefer face lifted ones too, compare the front ends and you'll see why, shape of the lower part of the front bumper/lip shows it all.

• Like 1

It's the arse for me. I hate the Lexus style lights they put on the face lift!

I know what you mean, hardcore owners put the older type onto their newer cars! They are a 50/50 for me depending on mood, don't think the look has aged well!

I had a strict budget as I wasn't selling my BMW so within my budget it was either a really ropey facelift, or a decent condition pre facelift, it had to be an EP3 and it had to be nighthawk.. I travelled 190 miles to pick this one up and it was fun to say the least. My mate took me up to get it in his 1.6 golf and to say he was annoyed at having to keep up (speed limits obviously, officer) is an understatement. Lovely car to drive and will be once I've sorted out the little bits and bobs on it.