Shafz's NHB '02 EP3 Type R Build!

Shafzzz

• 3 weeks later...

The Japfest2 update time!

Once again thanks to you all at civic5 for allowing me and my friends to be on your stand, was a lovely stand with friendly people and some really nice civics! The championship white one is one of my favourite MB6's and I'd never got to truly appreciate pirates black in person till JF2! 

Weekend diary time!

Friday I left for Leicester at 2pm hoping to get to Leicester at around 5pm, I was wrong. It took me 2hrs alone to get out of London and there were queues on the M1 with 40 limits. I got to Leicester at 6.15pm, a full 4 and a bit hours since I set off, absolute nightmare. OH and my exhaust is LOUD on the motorway, almost unbearable but I managed :)

Friday night just chilled really, too tired to do any prep on the cars but then Saturday morning the EP3 got its first proper wash in probably its entire 12 year/106k mile life.

468cd407-0dca-4a2d-8457-0699179c1b25_zps

Snow foamm!

aceacc01-0efe-4671-b8d9-10ff24060392_zps

Getting rinsed, looking better already!

f62bc661-4d93-46e9-b1a1-5b93ac69fdde_zps

Post detail with @Roj MB6. Cleanest the cars ever looked considering how disappointing it was prior to this.

nighthawkblackgang_zps716458bb.jpg

At the pumps the morning of Japfest waiting for everyone else to fuel up, the three nighthawk black cars in a line :)

2014-08-17072136.jpg

Arriving on stand with @Roj and mates, pic nicked from Roj, hopefully he doesn't mind haha

65e8149c-d791-4a7a-b313-38bf5813684c_zps

On stand in our final positions, if anyone's wondering why my car disappeared halfway through the show, I was actually a support car for my mates in the Donington pitlane as they were on track for 4hrs!

43763e35-b59b-4670-9f0e-88879fa30358_zps

In the pitlane area waiting for the 1pm-5pm sessions to start

b44b8e28-ba6e-40fe-8c15-fda35e197237_zps

Parked side by side in the pit garage with a modified GT-R!

And a pic at the end with me and all my mates cars:

a87992b7-c141-4a70-a38e-66841dfcc8a2_zps

All in all a brilliant weekend and the car was fairly economical, pulled well and finally looks decent, just time for my build to bring it to the power level I'm aiming to achieve...

Thank you again to civic5 for allowing me to be on stand! More updates to come shortly ;)

• Like 1

I do mind about the picture actually. Why do you always have to steal things? Gosh.

:P

Your car came out almost as well as mine after the detailing session! Also sorry about the door. :P

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I do mind about the picture actually. Why do you always have to steal things? Gosh.

:P

Your car came out almost as well as mine after the detailing session! Also sorry about the door. :P

Hey! What you did to my door means I can steal as many pitchas as I want :P

Yeah considering only one side of mine actually got polished, because major CBAs. It did come out really well and it's still shiny now. Brown, but shiny.

Plans for this car! I do not like this exhaust. It is headachey at 70mph which I don't mind cause it's completely fine at 80. But I had to get it adjusted because of off the shelf exhaust clearance issues with the rear LCAs and now the backbox doesn't sit how I want it to, because of this I have revised my plans slightly.

Plans before JF1 2015 in no particular order except the first 3 things:

- Custom backbox from solid fabrications with even more angle and similar noise levels (ASAP as backbox is low and if I raise it then I can't have rear passengers)

- Centre section tucked up from solid fabrications

- JDM Spec Rear anti roll bar

- Custom 3" intake

- RBC inlet manifold and TB adaptor

- DC5 Flywheel

- Cams (already got some lined up)

- PLM headers (got a friend in America helping me out with these)

- KPRO3 plus Map (already know who I want mapping it)

- Eibach Pro kit lowering springs.

As you have noticed there is nothing cosmetic bar springs on this list, why? Because race car. Seeing my mates on track at Japfest2 (black GT turbo starlet with no front grille, white JDM DC2 with CF bonnet and roof spoiler). I really really want a car that performs well, the above setup should have me as one of the more powerful OEM K20A2s in the country so will be a monster on track and road. Knowing that my car is on par with a JDM DC2 with light mods from a motorway roll (68-70mph officer), means that the estimated 210-215bhp that EP3s reach with just a catback is true for mine. It performs incredibly well and can pull lengths on most similar classed cars I see around here at sanctioned events (GTIs, cupras the like).

I do have a mods list for the exterior but... that's for after it gets performing how I want, plus I kind of want it to look like "just another EP3 with an exhaust" when it has what should be.. ~260bhp.

• Like 1

Sounds like a plan there dude! 

It won't be cheap but it'll be worth it! I'm looking for a really cheap winter car because a RWD 215ish bhp BMW and a 210bhp type R are not ideal for winter conditions e.g. snow, and a cheap MB winter car has crossed my mind, just I have no space to put it because London and parking permits, might use my mums car but it's not the manliest of cars  :lol: but using my mums will free up the extra ~£500 for a winter car and mean I can do more to the EP3.. Hmm.

Decided your EP3 vs MB6 dilemma dude? Car looked great at JF2! I was too busy being support crew to have a good look around but from what I saw I like a lot!  :wub:

The MB6 is going, fancy a radical change! Been looking at the E320 CDi :o 

Though that said next week I'll probably fancy something else again :lol:

If the car I end up with doesn't work in the snow then I'll just use the Accord, that car has proven itself very good in the snow! 

• Like 1

The MB6 is going, fancy a radical change! Been looking at the E320 CDi :o

Though that said next week I'll probably fancy something else again :lol:

If the car I end up with doesn't work in the snow then I'll just use the Accord, that car has proven itself very good in the snow! 

Ahh I'm a very anti merc/BMW all the way guy, we testdrove an E270 CDI a few years back for my dad and although interior gets a 10/10, the driving experience was lets say.. dull. It wasn't very punchy for a diesel and was good for 'progress'. We then test drove a 530d M sport with all the trimmings and that was incredible, the punch and power from it was immense, it rode well and looked good and you can get old 5 series for eff all these days! But that's just me.

We ended up with a newer 530d M sport touring last year but that was then sold because after all the fuss by the old man about wanting a diesel, he realised he doesn't do the mileage for it  :lol: was definitely one of the faster cars I've driven. 8 speed smooth auto, 5.9 to 60 in nearly 2 tonnes of estate. Ooft.

Oh and I understand about changing mind often, I wanted about 7 different Hondas before settling on the EP3, despite wanting one since its 2001 release when I was 8!

Ahh I'm a very anti merc/BMW all the way guy, we testdrove an E270 CDI a few years back for my dad and although interior gets a 10/10, the driving experience was lets say.. dull. It wasn't very punchy for a diesel and was good for 'progress'. We then test drove a 530d M sport with all the trimmings and that was incredible, the punch and power from it was immense, it rode well and looked good and you can get old 5 series for eff all these days! But that's just me.

We ended up with a newer 530d M sport touring last year but that was then sold because after all the fuss by the old man about wanting a diesel, he realised he doesn't do the mileage for it  :lol: was definitely one of the faster cars I've driven. 8 speed smooth auto, 5.9 to 60 in nearly 2 tonnes of estate. Ooft.

Oh and I understand about changing mind often, I wanted about 7 different Hondas before settling on the EP3, despite wanting one since its 2001 release when I was 8!

I had a go in a 330d a few years back and didn't take to it! Don't get me wrong it was nice to drive, very quick and smooth but that "something" was just lacking! 

The 270 is meant to be a cross between quick and economical, 5 cylinder jobby! 

My old man has the S320, 3.2 straight six diesel, very nice, punchy and about the only auto box I don't get in a rage about, mostly because of the tiptronic doing as I tell it to when the box makes a bad decision! :lol:

Also there's something about the Merc interiors I prefer over the BMW's, very nice place to sit! 

I just don't enjoy driving at the minute, the roads are crap, fuel is expensive and I haven't been on a random drive for the sake of it in years! Plus with the walking and cycling and not really using the car during the week it would be nice to have some luxury when I do get in and pot about, I just want a big engine for going quick. Can't say I'm overly bothered about getting around corners at light speed either, I've been there and done that! I like my creature comforts these days, I'm getting too old for my fillings to be rattled out :lol:

• Like 1

Had a look at CLS320 CDIs? They're very very good value at the minute! I understand some people are BMW, some prefer Mercedes etc, I was brought up with a mix of the two in my family but preferred the BMWs despite being ferried around in 190Es! I'd have a nice 190E cosworth in a heartbeat though. 

Mercs are so smooth though so I agree with that, and for ease of going from A to B they're good. Also remapped diesels shift, closest race with my EP3 has been a mapped BMW 530d!