Track day brakes for a daily driven MB/MC

Dexter

If I had known I'd have been without the car for a month at the time I'd have bought the better stuff knowing I wouldn't need to keep back the money, was bad enough the brakes ate into my holiday spending money! Luckily being even tighter I managed to make up for it! 

• Like 1

If I had known I'd have been without the car for a month at the time I'd have bought the better stuff knowing I wouldn't need to keep back the money, was bad enough the brakes ate into my holiday spending money! Luckily being even tighter I managed to make up for it! 

Yeah thats true mate .. At least your all square now though :)

The DS2500's are definitely good pads .. For similar money i'd also be looking at the Hawk hp+ which i thought were awsome !

Fluid is obv an important factor, as are braided lines ..

Disc wise, look at mtec, alot use them and appear to hold up ok. I think i'll be getting them next time around ..

I used ADL Blueprint blanks on my EK with Hawk HP+ pads, RBF600 and HEL braided lines.. (AND DRUMS ON THE BACK!)

That thing would out brake nearly anything !

Ok, i think Hawk might also be an option... a finnish time attack driver who used to race an MB6 recommended them too so i think i'll take a look at their wares. I've been using Dot 5.1 fluid which has been pretty decent but i'm considering Motul as the RBF600 isn't too expensive... compared to braided lines, which i think i'll pass this time. Gotta save somewhere!

But i don't think i'll be buying mtec. Read too many stories about cracked or warped discs.

personally, I wouldn't waste money on fancy looking discs, just plain vented will do the job lovely, forget brand names as nearly all discs come out of one of two casting factories anyway, the likes of ebc and the rest just machine groves or holes in them!

Pads, yellowstuff is a min for trackdays if your looking at ebc, and you will need to change them when they get to 4-5mm of pad, and I mean change them before the trackday or be prepared to change them at the circuit.  Blue stuff is better at lasting, but unless you have some form of brake cooling even expensive pads will start to disintegrate before the meat has worn off.  Its usually the inside pad that disintegrates first.  

This is the case for ebc, the things are that cheap, you don't mind changing them half way through their wear life.

I would go for a decent dot4 race fluid over a 5.1, the above post sounds a great recommendation.

personally, I wouldn't waste money on fancy looking discs, just plain vented will do the job lovely, forget brand names as nearly all discs come out of one of two casting factories anyway, the likes of ebc and the rest just machine groves or holes in them!

Pads, yellowstuff is a min for trackdays if your looking at ebc, and you will need to change them when they get to 4-5mm of pad, and I mean change them before the trackday or be prepared to change them at the circuit.  Blue stuff is better at lasting, but unless you have some form of brake cooling even expensive pads will start to disintegrate before the meat has worn off.  Its usually the inside pad that disintegrates first.  

This is the case for ebc, the things are that cheap, you don't mind changing them half way through their wear life.

I would go for a decent dot4 race fluid over a 5.1, the above post sounds a great recommendation.

Dot4 will disintegrate the brake lines which Dexter says he doesn't want to change.