Idle fluctuating 1k to 2k

h4mza

Question

I removed the battery off my mb6 then put back and now when idle the revs are going from 1k to 2k then back to 1k then 2k and so on. I've cleaned the idle air control valve, cleaned throttle body, put new coolant in, sprayed wd40 over the hoses to find vacuum leak but nothing so far. Noticed a leak from inlet manifold gasket, would that be related to idle issue? Car is also running lean, I've ordered new plugs and fuel filter to see if that helps.

7 answers to this question

Leak of what? Coolant?

Have you changed coolant you say?

Is it bled fully? As air in system can cause this issue. Also believe it or not. If your brakes need bleeding, also causes hunting.

@KiNK43 Leaking oil, from the distributor side area, upon closer look the inlet manifold gasket seems to have chunks missing so I think I need to replace it. Also sprayed wd40 over that area and it developed bubbles so could vacuum leak be coming from that area or is it bubbling because engine is hot. Was bit of rush when changed coolant, saw there wasn't enough so drained it all out under the radiator then topped up with new. 

Still need help please, I haven't sorted this problem yet. I noticed my AEM fuel pressure regulator had a pin missing so a hose wasn't connect to it.

74AE4474-31EE-4DC9-9DD2-2246AFE57300_zps

I replaced it with a standard fuel pressure regulator. This didn't fix my problem. :(

Next I followed this diagram to remove all the vacuum hoses to check for any cracks but nothing, they all are good. So I put them back according to this diagram but I remember the hose 18 was actually connected back on inlet manifold when I removed it. So bit confused if this diagram is correct or was my hose connected wrong in the first place?  :?:

E__0200_zps89319d18.jpg

I've noticed the idle stays in one place if I release the clutch halfway at biting point or turn the heater up, would anyone know anything about this?

Had mine wrong for ages and think filled the canaster with emissions form crank breather .

smoked and Did not run right :geek: 

This is when I fitted the sk2 inlet btw

no smoke and runs well now,

well did, just refitted the cat  today for MOT big flat spot now into vtec cry.gif1 

If its changing when using the heater, it sounds like you will have to carry out further bleeding of the coolant system mate. Hows the temp sitting when you leave it idling for around 10 - 15 mins? And once on the road, where's the temp sitting? Does it go high, or do you notice a significant drop in temp? Either will point to an air lock in the coolant system. These engines can sometimes be a pig to bleed, I know Ruby's was.

Cheers I'll bleed the coolant system again, not driven the car much since the issue. Temp seems to be ok, stays below half. Also tried blocking throttle body hole with a cloth and it seems to stabilize the idle, would this mean anything?