Mb6 won't keep power.

Dodd89

Question

I'm not sure where this belongs as it could be a blocked exhaust, electrical problem, or mechanical. But as I reach 4.5k rpm engine gets deeper and feels like it hits a wall, same in every gear and the Revs take forever to rev up after that rpm. Before then everything is fine and pulls well.

*vtec engages but when it does there's some sort of tss-tss-tss-tss sound and I'm not sure if it's exhaust.

*oil is ok

*did have a cone filter on there but taken off and put standard box on to see if it was that.

*there's also a rattle in the exhaust in the pipe between cat and middlebox.

Hope someone can help me diagnose this as this will be the final straw for this car, I've tried to love it but it won't let me lol.

Some people say timing, but seems to pull OK until 4.5k rpm. Thanks in advance, hope you can help me out.

I don't know what the problem was, but on the third run there was a little poof of smoke. I didn't know it was sorted until the drive home. Goes well now though. :) I'm guessing the cat was blocked, guy said it was the dizzy but dizzy was replaced a few weeks ago

• Like 2

ye there's a few things it could be, your filter might be blocked.

whats the millage on it? serviced regular?

exhaust rattle will be fine mate, i had mine rattle all the time and keep scraping it.

the solenoid is pretty easy to take off, usually 3 bolts and its off with a rubber seal and a mesh part inside which is the filter. if the car isn't regularly serviced it could block it up so you are not letting vtec kick in as it should.

it could be one of the sensors on it or the piston.

post-4163-0-15286700-1439524083_thumb.gi

• Like 2

I'm about to do a bit of work on the car, I've read up about the iab works at 4.5k rpm if I'm right. Could that vacuum get blocked maybe? I'm not 100 percent I know what I'm talking about but with vtec engaging surely it would be something to do with that as it's a losd of power from then on... Even in vtec and revs slow way down.

Cleaned solenoid out (was good anyway) and reset ecu, still no luck. Guessing it's going to have to be a garage job on the rolling road and see what they find. Let's hope I don't waste more money here too.

Might be looking in the wrong area I think.

Vtec and iabs would affect power but not engaging wouldn't cause a change of exhaust tone.I'd start by investigating that rattle in the exhaust. Check for a blocked/collapsed cat or center silencer.