Transmission need Help

Viltor

Question

Hello everyone,

2 or 3 months ago, I noticed when Im shifting from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd I notice sometimes some friction. is that normal ?

Most of the time its 1st to 2nd and it happens mostyle at low rpm, like 1500rpm or 2000 rpm, is that normal ? someone noticed that ?

Thanks

Did your mechanic bleed the hydraulic system for the clutch when he replaced the fluid? How does the clutch pedal feel? Is it normal or does it feel quite heavy? What kind of travel is there on the clutch pedal? Symptoms could point to a worn synchro as Krzys suggested, or a worn clutch.

I had a problem with my mb6 changing gear from 1st to 2nd (but only at high revs) which would result in a grinding noise, and I got the clutch replaced and no more problems. I kinda knew the clutch was on its way out though from previous weeks driving. But try the cheaper routes first as it aint cheap to get the clutch changed in these!

One thing I would recommend is going back to your mechanic after driving it around for about a week, and ask him to try and top up the gearbox. As said above, the oil should be all around the components by then, so if it's needing topped up (which if its only had 1.9 litres, then it deffo will!) there will be space for more oil to go in.

Then try it see how it feels. If still the same, check the mounts (theres also a mount to the rear of the engine which can cause all kinds of probs if it's worn) make sure theyre ok.  Then check the gear selector linkages for play. If theres a lot of play in them, then that will make engaging gears more difficult.

So, to check...

1. Gearbox oil level......top up after a week of driving.

2. Ask if clutch system has been bled.

3. Gear linkage, check for play. If a lot is present, replace with a good 2nd hand one.

4. Check engine/gearbox mounts for excessive play/deterioration.

5. Check clutch pedal travel. If a lot, think about replacing clutch.

6. If changing clutch, might be a good idea to have box checked (synchros etc) (which will be expensive!)

7. If synchros are gone, may be cheaper to source a 2nd hand box.

• Like 1

Hi Dave,

Thanks for help, just for your information, yesterday I drove for like 30 minutes in the city and everything was smooth, but today I noticed something that I dont know if its the clutch or the transmission. When im driving at the highway and than I stop the car at Neutral, I hear some scrapping noise. If i press the Clutch or if I hit the gas just a lil bit, the noise goes away. I dont know if its related with my 2nd gear thing.

My clutch seems ok, the pedal is soft and it bites half way when releasing it, the clutch fluid is also ok..

What you think ?

Thanks

If you're satisfied with the checks you've carried out so far.....it may be time to start suspecting the clutch assembly ( a pressure plate breaking up would fit your intermittent symptoms quite well)......fingers crossed it isn't your gearbox :)

• Like 1

I can't ever remember double de-clutching helping much with up changes.....but it should help ?

with guidance you've been very logical in your approach thus far so you must now start doubting the clutch......if you had said you hear "screeching" as opposed to "scraping" guessing would be easier.