Looking for a new car

Butcher

Been keeping one eye on eBay for a good while now. The Aerodeck has been good to me, but the 1.6, whilst nice to drive could offer a bit more. The perfect alternative would be the VTI. Cheap to buy. cheap to run. Simple enough to fix. But they don't seem to exist anywhere. The odd one pops up every few months, miles from home, but given the age, and the fact that few are any longer owned by the pensioners that once drove them, I'm reluctant to take a punt on travelling miles to get one.

The thing is, I'm struggling for alternatives. Accord would be the obvious choice, and it's high on the list. But having started a new job and commuting 50 miles a day, mpg is an issue... Something that can at least hold 35mpg in the real world would be ideal. And old diesel Accords look to be fraught with issues (clutch, timing chain, dpf, etc). Some say the 2.4 petrol can return 35mpg........plenty of others seem to be getting no more than 25mpg in the 2.0....  

I refuse to buy a Ford.

Octavia vRS, maybe. But why oh why did they put half white leather seats in them. There's something tacky I find about the Skodas.  One of the things I like about the Aerodeck is that it's understated. Even a bit agricultural. I like that. 

I need to find something. It's driving me nuts. I don't think I have a big list of requirements. Just something a little bit fun. Not too thirsty (30mpg is very borderline, and a lot of the big engine motors are gonna slip below that). And reliable. I don't give much of a toss what it looks like, or how cool it is. Agricultural is good! 

Oh, and the air con must work.

Cup-holder would be bonus.  

Any ideas?

Got to be an estate, or a cavernous hatch at the very least. Otherwise I don't think I'd find my search much of a problem. Noticed a load of cheap Preludes out there..  B) This is the thing though, the Aerodeck is the perfect size, with nippy but not massive engines. There doesn't seem to be a lot of alternatives like it.  

Mines still for sale but you may want to put standard shocks back on as its a stiff ride

Yeah, would prefer to find something standard really. Plus you're at the other end of the country. 

Unfortunately as you've already said the cars are few and far between so you may have to have a day out to see/fetch one! Jay's car is decent having seen it in person! He's selling because of a knee problem meaning he can no longer comfortably drive a manual, sad times! 

• Like 1