Finch's Double D's

Finch

I had a sh**y weekend, I cracked the block. They were torqued to specs, order and steps as told to me by Honda parts, I just had 88-95 bolts for a 95-01 style of engine (88 are 20mm longer).

The parts were supplies as a kit so I'm looking to get compensation for the damage caused by the supplier, they used my reg and vin to find parts!!

I should have known she was trouble the second I stripped a plug trying to remove it. Previous person to work on it had cross threaded it :(

IMG-20160924-WA0003.jpeg

After stripping the head off everything went smooth and fast, I've had 6 Hondas in the past, DirtyDs are what I learned on and so I know them like the back of my hand. Though the bolt length was new to me.. I dropped oil, coolant etc changed filter, changed gasket, chased plug threads, set valve lash to .006" intake/.007" exhaust, dropped head on and dropped bolts in. Did them in order, 14ft-lb then 29 then 3rd/4th stage was 49ft, first bolt at 49 I heard a ping and my shoes were wet. F***.

IMG_20160924_184210.jpg

After sitting in disbelief for a while I locked up car and went inside, searched for a while and found an engine near by for £140; 66k

Before I commited, I spoke to a neighbour who works at a local breakers, they have a d14z4 for £50 with 26k miles.

I collected today.

I am changing it on Friday/sat and will be doing a timelapse video of my f**kery

In other news I have some.more shineys...

IMG-20160924-WA0005.jpeg

IMG-20160924-WA0007.jpeg

IMG_20160924_172206.jpg

4 minutes ago, SilverDan said:

oooooooh tuuurrrbboooooooo, yes I agree :D 

The turbo is an old Garrett T28 .63 A/R Journal bearing turbo I had on a D16z6 Coupe years back but on inspection it looks like it would be cheaper to buy a new one than get it rebuilt as it'll need the back-end sand blasted, shot peened and the inner cartridge needs total revamp. By that time I could pick up 2 ebay turbos and run them both until failure! To be honest the eBay's aren't too bad if they're correctly setup and oil restrictions are fitted where necessary.

I'll be eventually building the block, but want to get everything else done first..! including fitting my coilovers I've been sat on for 2-3 months!

Im looking to go a similar route but with no experience of turbos as yet, Ive done no end of research on it as this'll be the first time ive tried to turbo any engine, il probably have loads of daft questions to throw your way along the line. I was lookng at some of the ebay turbos and for the price of them ya cant complain if and/or when they fail just get another haha. 

get them coilovers on, ya know ya want to 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SilverDan said:

Im looking to go a similar route but with no experience of turbos as yet, Ive done no end of research on it as this'll be the first time ive tried to turbo any engine, il probably have loads of daft questions to throw your way along the line. I was lookng at some of the ebay turbos and for the price of them ya cant complain if and/or when they fail just get another haha. 

get them coilovers on, ya know ya want to 

I'm waiting on a set of hardrace front arms to turn up so I can do them all at once and the go get it aligned properly!

I've had about 12 cars and about 8 were turbo'd! I own an R32 GTR I imported recently, and sold an S14 a few months back. Used to have a turbo Micra 1.4 which was like dung off a shovel! Had a lightened 1.3 SR flywheel and 1.0 gearbox. With a paddle clutch, it had MSA logbook as it was a road legal rally car :D so shoot me a question and ill be more than happy to answer (if I can)

2 hours ago, Chandler said:

s**t about the block mate! i've changed all mine to ARP.

Well im getting a 26k mile engine out of a rear ended MB2 auto, I'll be swapping to ARP as soon as I can. Need a running engine first!

IMG-20160930-WA0001.jpeg

So that's the Rad fitted. About 3X the thickness of old one, got knows what the triple core's thickness would have been rlol.gif1 now to get some new bolts to bolt fan to. 

Fitting went smooth AF. Only thing needed adjustment was the slam panel which sat a steel ruler thickness too low, pair of mole grips and 15 seconds bending and it was in. Now to get another set of PWDJdm low profile bolts

Dropping the block in tomorrow, ordered some AN fittings and Braided hose so I can vent the can cover in prep for the Turbo.

Next stage is to order a alloy overflow tank to clean up the bay! 

• Like 1

Got back to find post man had been and left a parcel, arm rest arrived! I'll get that fitted tomorrow after dropping engine in :D 

It needs a clean and a fabreeze, smells like cigarettes <_<. Will be recovering arm rest bit with the faux suede I have for door cards and add a bit of padding, its abit solid as it is :rolleyes:

Next week I'm getting back arch welded up and coilovers fitted 

download_20160930_182508.jpg