MB6 Cutting out randomly! Desperate help needed! Money for correct answer..

emericah

Question

In some desperate help. I have an MB6, which when warms up, seems to cut out. It usually won't start straight away, but leave it 5 mins and it'll be fine for another 5 minutes, and will repeat the process. 

Changed ignition coil in Dizzy, tried a different Relay, aswell as soldered the joints on it, and still no luck. Is it best to try a new dizzy, and maybe look into purchasing a new ICM?

TIA

3 minutes ago, noodels said:

Swap dizzy to eliminate it is best,

make sure its a good one too

fuel pump ok ?

Trying a friends Dizzy on Sunday. What's the best way to check the fuel pump?

Lots of possible causes mate. Are you still getting fuel through when this happens? Can you hear the fuel pump working when trying to start it when it's happened?

Are you getting the EM (Engine Management) light coming on when it happens? If so, then possible ignitor in the dizzy. This happened to my MB6 and it would randomly cut out then take a while to get started again. Eventually it gave up totally in the end. It sounds as though you may have already changed this though? Was it a genuine Honda one? I tried 2 non genuine Honda ones and both failed so ended up having to shell out loads of money one a genuine part.

6 hours ago, Dave said:

Lots of possible causes mate. Are you still getting fuel through when this happens? Can you hear the fuel pump working when trying to start it when it's happened?

Are you getting the EM (Engine Management) light coming on when it happens? If so, then possible ignitor in the dizzy. This happened to my MB6 and it would randomly cut out then take a while to get started again. Eventually it gave up totally in the end. It sounds as though you may have already changed this though? Was it a genuine Honda one? I tried 2 non genuine Honda ones and both failed so ended up having to shell out loads of money one a genuine part.

Fuel pump is still priming when restarting. The EM does come on yes.

Me and a friend serviced the car about a month ago, in which he had a brand new coil put onto it. I seriously thought that was it. Did the Genuine Honda one work? I'm getting my friend to try his dizzy on my car on Sunday morning, which will eliminate if its the dizzy or not. I'm pretty sure its the ICM, but it's just a pain buying it and waiting for it to arrive, fit it then find out it it's not even that. 

So did you ever get yours going again?

yeah mate, she's still going strong almost 4 years later with her new owner. The non Honda ones are absolute rubbish (although the parts guy at the Honda dealership was trying to save me money), they packed in in less than a week! Left me stranded at side of road. Replaced with the same non Honda part, same again in less than a week. I had to fork out £240 I think it was for the genuine Honda part and never looked back.

As your em light is one when it happens, it's almost certain that's the fault mate. The replacement dizzy should eliminate the problem.

Let us know how you get on. B)