Jump to content
  • 0

Rover 400's Wing Mirror in my MB3 1997?


Go to solution Solved by XtrimePT,

Question

Hi there.

 

I'm trying to get a new drivers side (Left-hand drive) wing mirror.

At a used parts website I found the same mirror as my damaged one, but at a high price (for a used part).

At a new parts website, when I insert my vehicle and look for the mirrors, it only shows me one. That one has a OEN Rover code CRB107160PMP.

When I search for parts with that specific OEN on the website it shows me more and cheaper mirrors that the one it shows me by simply using the car model, but the website claims those don't fit the car, although they have the same OEN code.

I now understand the Honda Civic and Rover 400 of that time had many shared parts, and even parts that don't look the same could fit in each other.

 

For what i understand, these "Rover" mirrors have the same connection tip as my car's. However they make a 5 pin connection, while my mirrors make a 3 pin connection. Searching about it I read someone saying that Rover cars have a button to heat the wing mirrors and that's why they make a 5 pin connection, while Honda cars heat the wing mirrors when you press the rear window heater button, thus only needing 3 pin connections.

I'll leave photos of the connector.

IMG_20201023_101549.thumb.jpg.7917d507a69ec623ea55a28a2ee3dce0.jpgIMG_20201023_101543.thumb.jpg.0ade4a9dedf2936f1a5fc2de21b51ad7.jpgIMG_20201023_101537.thumb.jpg.1953fd0f98b3ea970fba0b149e978968.jpg

I'm just wondering if I could get this "Rover" mirror for my Civic, since they are brand new and much cheaper than a used Honda one, and If they would work (at least the angle adjustment function).

 

Congrats,

 

XtrimePT

Link to post
Share on other sites

Recommended Posts

  • 0
  • Solution

Everyone,

 

IT WORKS! Haha awesome moment when I plug the connectors, put the Ignition on the ON position and adjust the mirrors flawlessly!

 

So, to clarify:

 

This is the connector of the old mirrors:IMG_20201102_093916.thumb.jpg.b676d8b557f4b1be6fd8d90f3868ddbe.jpg

This is the connector of the new mirrors:IMG_20201102_093936.thumb.jpg.6907e35a468f4100f837f4b439058a53.jpg

You see that the new one has 2 more black cables. Those are indeed for the heating element, which my car doesn't support and it's confirmed because this is the connector:IMG_20201102_113236.thumb.jpg.274a4406d55cba65bee8dbdfd42f8269.jpg

As you can see, it only has 3 contact pins, so the 2 black cables of the new mirrors simply don't connect, while the others one do and work perfectly.

And now I have a new driver-side mirror :Dreceived_2038691732932011.thumb.jpeg.cf47721e7344cb85ad28bbc793a5443e.jpeg

IMPORTANT: the mirror is the same size as the old one and fits perfectly and the screw holes align perfect with the car holes BUT you need to get thicker screws. The old ones can't screw into the new mirror holes because they're slim so I had to go and buy 3 thicker screws. It was the only thing that wasn't compatible.

 

I bought them on Autodoc and they sometimes make compatibility information mistakes. They're website is saying these mirrors aren't compatible with my car while some other that are simply the same and cost more are. Don't get fooled, always try to find the OEN number for your parts and see if you can find cheaper.

 

Thanks a lot for all the support.

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Have you got the link to the website so we can have a look? The early Rover mirrors were mostly non electric unless you went for one of the models high up the range. They are a slightly (hardly noticeable) shape to the civics mirrors. Think they weren't as deep as our mirror casings either. The later rover 400/45/MGZS had most of the wiring changed to BMW wiring and connectors, so that could be for the later ones?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
2 hours ago, Dave said:

Have you got the link to the website so we can have a look? The early Rover mirrors were mostly non electric unless you went for one of the models high up the range. They are a slightly (hardly noticeable) shape to the civics mirrors. Think they weren't as deep as our mirror casings either. The later rover 400/45/MGZS had most of the wiring changed to BMW wiring and connectors, so that could be for the later ones?

Hi there, thanks for the reply.

So, now with links, this is the used part:

https://www.b-parts.com/pt/store/products/6043484/retrovisor-esquerdo-honda-civic-vi-fastback-ma-mb-20-i-td-mb7-1994-1995-1996-1997-1998-1999-2000-2001/

 

It's the same shape as mine, already comes with a little crack and costs 80€ with shipping. The connector is the same as mine with 3 pins.

 

Now, when I go to Autodoc and insert my car's license plate and search for the wing mirrors it gets this one:

https://m.auto-doc.pt/blic/7471648

 

Brand new, says it's compatible and costs around 60€ with shipping.

 

Now, that mirror has a OEN code for ROVER. You use that code and search for parts in Autodoc and it brings similar mirrors like this one that is cheaper:

https://m.auto-doc.pt/van-wezel/1276288

 

The photo of this last one shows the connector's face in the top right and it looks like my mirror's connector but instead it looks like it has a 5 pin connection.

 

I don't know if the first one I shown from Autodoc is 3 or 5 pins, we can't see I'm the photos.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Hi there,

 

Are your current mirrors heated? I would imagine that its 3 pins for non-heated and 5 pins for heated.

The Rover mirrors should work - not sure if they'd be plug and play though, the wires in the plug might need some moving around.

 

I'm sure i've got some Rover mirrors here somewhere.. I'll have a hunt and see what the differences are.

 

Cheers, Dan

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0


So found my mirrors - they're from a Rover 45 for reference.

Photos below of the plug/wiring, if the mirrors on the website are like these they should just plug straight in, but I wouldnt know if they'd work straight away.

You'll probably need to get a wiring diagram for both cars to match the wires up. A quick search suggests that the two black wires are for the heated mirror element.

 

 

thumbnail_processed(1).thumb.jpg.7597748144b0701f3a0f6d43678bd4d0.jpgthumbnail_processed(2).thumb.jpg.3fb2a06f58be199da8a97e3de6f9db21.jpgthumbnail_processed.thumb.jpg.6216f29bc33cfe9af0372362891c6caf.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, dan1 said:


So found my mirrors - they're from a Rover 45 for reference.

Photos below of the plug/wiring, if the mirrors on the website are like these they should just plug straight in, but I wouldnt know if they'd work straight away.

You'll probably need to get a wiring diagram for both cars to match the wires up. A quick search suggests that the two black wires are for the heated mirror element.

 

 

thumbnail_processed(1).thumb.jpg.7597748144b0701f3a0f6d43678bd4d0.jpgthumbnail_processed(2).thumb.jpg.3fb2a06f58be199da8a97e3de6f9db21.jpgthumbnail_processed.thumb.jpg.6216f29bc33cfe9af0372362891c6caf.jpg

Thanks a lot! The Rover code mirrors look just like those of yours. The connector is the same as mine so it will fit and if it's like you said and those 2 black wires are for the heater then it may work straight away because my 3 wires are in the same place as your other 3 wires (besides the black ones).

I'll give it a shot and order those mirrors. Then I'll show you how it went.

Many thanks to you and @Dave :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
3 hours ago, XtrimePT said:

Thanks a lot! The Rover code mirrors look just like those of yours. The connector is the same as mine so it will fit and if it's like you said and those 2 black wires are for the heater then it may work straight away because my 3 wires are in the same place as your other 3 wires (besides the black ones).

I'll give it a shot and order those mirrors. Then I'll show you how it went.

Many thanks to you and @Dave :D

No problem at all, hopefully it all goes smoothly! Even if not it should be simple case of swapping wires over

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
15 hours ago, dan1 said:

No problem at all, hopefully it all goes smoothly! Even if not it should be simple case of swapping wires over

Exactly. I have a Haynes manual showing the wiring of my Civic and the Electric Mirrors wiring is as follows:

 

IMG_20201025_102859.thumb.jpg.09d192c0f01214f9523fe1c663313cd1.jpg

If you understand this diagram, you can see that after the circuit leaves Fuse 13 it separates, one end going to the Mirror Adjustment switch and the other end going to either the Defogger switch (if you have it), or IF YOU HAVE an Aerodeck it goes straight to the mirrors heater, so as soon as you turn the ignition key to the ON position it starts heating them.

 

I don't have a Defogger switch neither my Civic is an Aerodeck, so I don't have heated mirrors. Makes sense because if you observe the 139 item which is the Left-Handed mirror (the one I need to replace) you see that it has 5 cables connected to it. This would be if the mirrors were heated. Since they're not, they only get 3 cables that come from the Adjustment switch:

1 controls Down and Left

1 controls Up

1 controls Right

 

The worse thing it can happen when I plug the new Rover mirrors is that the Adjustment cables may be switched and for example I'll try to adjust the mirror UP and it goes RIGHT or something. Would be funny as hell hahahaha.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
3 hours ago, dr_broon said:

You'll find a wiring diagram in the service manual here :

 

https://civic5.com/forum/files/file/1-honda-civic-1995-2000-aerodeck-service-manual

 

At least for the civic anyway. 

 

Thanks anyway, but I have a Haynes manual for the Civic. Would like to check the Mirrors Wiring Diagram of the Rover 400, though... I'm not going to buy an entire manual just to look at one Diagram :/

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...