Rover 400's Wing Mirror in my MB3 1997?

XtrimePT

Question

Hi there.

I'm trying to get a new drivers side (Left-hand drive) wing mirror.

At a used parts website I found the same mirror as my damaged one, but at a high price (for a used part).

At a new parts website, when I insert my vehicle and look for the mirrors, it only shows me one. That one has a OEN Rover code CRB107160PMP.

When I search for parts with that specific OEN on the website it shows me more and cheaper mirrors that the one it shows me by simply using the car model, but the website claims those don't fit the car, although they have the same OEN code.

I now understand the Honda Civic and Rover 400 of that time had many shared parts, and even parts that don't look the same could fit in each other.

For what i understand, these "Rover" mirrors have the same connection tip as my car's. However they make a 5 pin connection, while my mirrors make a 3 pin connection. Searching about it I read someone saying that Rover cars have a button to heat the wing mirrors and that's why they make a 5 pin connection, while Honda cars heat the wing mirrors when you press the rear window heater button, thus only needing 3 pin connections.

I'll leave photos of the connector.

IMG_20201023_101549.thumb.jpg.7917d507a69ec623ea55a28a2ee3dce0.jpgIMG_20201023_101543.thumb.jpg.0ade4a9dedf2936f1a5fc2de21b51ad7.jpgIMG_20201023_101537.thumb.jpg.1953fd0f98b3ea970fba0b149e978968.jpg

I'm just wondering if I could get this "Rover" mirror for my Civic, since they are brand new and much cheaper than a used Honda one, and If they would work (at least the angle adjustment function).

Congrats,

XtrimePT

GUYS, I need your help one more time!

So, after I got and installed the Left mirror I went on and bought the Right-side one. A different brand since the same brand as the left-side one had the right-side one  unavailable.

From the photo, I was almost thinking the Right-side one would be a Dark Blue, but it's Black. So far so good.

This mirror looks just like the Left-side one. The connector is the same and all. The problem are the 3 holes where you put a screw and fix the mirror to the car.

I'll show you photos of the holes in this new mirror.

IMG_20201113_010128.thumb.jpg.ff2e9ccf1c3599629174b8dfa8b2764c.jpgIMG_20201113_010206.thumb.jpg.a6b20b96b7c16171b66a13a8ad8e47f0.jpgIMG_20201113_010244.thumb.jpg.b414e8ff4e93dae4ecfca81be038dcaf.jpg

As you can see the holes don't have threads to screw in. I thought the mirror would come with some sort of thread protector screwed in the holes so I could then take them out and thread some screws but I tried using pliers to pull or rotate the top rim of the holes and it doesn't do anything.

In the 3rd photo you can see the black rim and then a silver tube with no threads. So is this another installing system?

The mirrors have the OEN CRB107150PMP

I'm looking in a site where they sell genuine MG/Rover parts and they sell screws in the mirrors section, so do we thread the screw directly in the hole, making a thread?

Thanks.

2 hours ago, Dave said:

I would think the holes should already be threaded mate. Was the left side one threaded when you got it? These should just be bolt and play, shouldn't have to thread them

Yes but did you see the photos of the holes? It's weird there's no threads. I try to use the screws I bought for the other mirrors and they just won't fit, they don't go inside the hole. It's very strange

8 minutes ago, dr_broon said:

Is there some kind of mounting plate to go between the mirror and the door? 

Been a while since I've had a mirror off... 

Nothing . The cars chassis has 3 holes. You out the mirror on the outside and thread the screws so it links the car and the mirror. I'll see if I use self-threading screws and it solves

Sorry to unearth this thread, but i have the same issue somehow.

I bought a pair of chrome power mirrors from a Rover 45, for my MC2.

There are a few differences though compared to the civic's (and rover 400's apparently). The 45 has 8-pin connectors vs 6-pin for the civic/400, and the colours of the wires don't match as you can see.

So i gathered that the 2 black cables are for heating mirrors, which my deck doesn't have. But the rest i can't figure out how to set them in the right order on the 6-pin connector.

I have tried multiple combinations, and i always got at least one direction (up/down/left/right) wrong. And of course i ended up shorting the board behind the buttons for the adjustment (down button wouldn't work anymore).

Now that i have bought another adjustment panel, i need to have the correct match for each wire. So if anyone has any clue, pls HALP!

20230122_121134.jpg

20230122_121140.jpg

On 2/9/2023 at 4:51 PM, Jezza said:

Sorry to unearth this thread, but i have the same issue somehow.

I bought a pair of chrome power mirrors from a Rover 45, for my MC2.

There are a few differences though compared to the civic's (and rover 400's apparently). The 45 has 8-pin connectors vs 6-pin for the civic/400, and the colours of the wires don't match as you can see.

So i gathered that the 2 black cables are for heating mirrors, which my deck doesn't have. But the rest i can't figure out how to set them in the right order on the 6-pin connector.

I have tried multiple combinations, and i always got at least one direction (up/down/left/right) wrong. And of course i ended up shorting the board behind the buttons for the adjustment (down button wouldn't work anymore).

Now that i have bought another adjustment panel, i need to have the correct match for each wire. So if anyone has any clue, pls HALP!

20230122_121134.jpg

20230122_121140.jpg

Hi i just bought this same mirrors  did you manage to make it work? I dont want to brake anything.

Anyone knows how this mirrors retract?

Thanks in advance.