Big micks grocery getter (aerodeck)

Mickg

Been a nightmare week lol discovered a puddle in the boot 

One of the locating lugs on the drivers rear was leaking so sealed it poured water over car seemed sealed 

Drove the car in the rain puddle was back complain.gif1

Drivers side dry now looks like i missed a much smaller but big enough lol leak on the passanger side so thinking leason learnt , sealed everything that comes through the body both sides

Drove the car in the rain puddle was back complain.gif1

This time ive sealed around both boot hinges, rear washer jet grommet, both sides where the gutters runinto tail gate surround (the origional factory sealant was way past its best little gaps on close inspection at gutter ends and the sealant around the hinges was just lifting away ......... learning my leason ive even sealed around the rear windows (thankfully done a good job and looks pretty factory) 

Then painted all sealant with touch up paint so only time will tell, if its still leaking the roof rails will come off next as even with my bore scope cant see it drip but i can see it at various points so know its from high up 

Looks to have been on the go for a long time with rusty bits behind one of the boot pocket lining and in wheel well which ive sorted aswell 

Edited by Mickg
  • Like 1

Sub and amp look sweet. 

If the puddle comes back, check the roof seam under the roof rails - that's where mine was coming in. 

The deck boots seem to be a bloody puddle magnet complain.gif1

• Like 1

22 hours ago, dr_broon said:

Sub and amp look sweet. 

If the puddle comes back, check the roof seam under the roof rails - that's where mine was coming in. 

The deck boots seem to be a bloody puddle magnet complain.gif1

Under the gutter cover strips between the mounting points ? 

At the very end small gutter covers there were actually visible gaps on the seam at each end where it goes from roof to boot surround as its a 90° angle as the factory sealant has went hard and shrunk \ become no longer bonded. I think they had been filled with green mossy looking stuff that had plugged them after it initially shurnk so wheen ive started a propper deeper clean ive unplugged them.

The boot hinge surrounds were the same, cleaned them as very green and mouldy with a detailers brush and soapy water and the sealant just started coming away.

Will probably just whip the rails and gutter covers off and run some sealant anyway as it seems the external factory sealant has past its serviceable life.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2021 at 9:30 PM, dr_broon said:

Yeah, just worth checking all along that seam. Hope you've caught it though. 

Thanks very much for your advice friday.gif1

• Like 1