MC2 Project - Chassis prep

DeLaSoul

Looks epic!

Please say you are keeping the roof rails 8-)

Oh yes, I need them! Can't get out of the car without holding on to them :lol:

As it is fully caged you could probably loose the SIPS bars, shouldn't make the doors too floppy. Cage and pedal box is looking excellent btw. Has it been TIG welded?- I know nothing about welding unfortunately but those joints look pretty amazing to me.

I would go for Gunmetal (my dash is Rover gunmetal metallic- actually a nice colour). You need to be careful about Champ, although it might be fun to rub the 'others' up the wrong way. As it will be obvious it was never a type-R (due to being a bit J-lo around the back ;) ) it might look a bit odd, like red badging an M. Obviously it has the credentials now (and would look good in white) but some quarters that don't rate M's might take it as a bit of a wannabe rather than a serious track car, which would be a shame.

I'm keeping the door bars, they are already soft without the inner metalwork so I don't want to remove any more. I couldn't tell you if it's TIG or MIG, I'm useless at welding. All I can say is the quality is amazing.

I like white as it was also Honda's racing colour and easy to paint/touch up. Not that bothered about the Type-R crowd but I see where your coming from. I was a little against the M chassis myself due to the Rover link until I got my hands on this one. I'm edging toward Gunmetal anyway. It should work well with Bronze wheels.

...x3

cage looks awesome, pedal box looks like it might take a while gettin used to... liking the thread updates keep them coming.

I agree with Matt on the Champ White, one of the best looking colours on the decks i've seen was someone at the ring in a Pirates Black with dark grey dc2 wheels, but i think the whole body shape and vti's kit sticks out better in silver.

Dave, are you going to be gettin the underbody boarded up for the aerodynamics, i think that would be a sweet addition to the project, rear diffuser would look hot, and also serve a purpose - increase emm.... stability :roll:

:D:D

Pedal box is weird, and I can't use it wearing normal trainers. I've bought racing shoes as they are softer and narrower, my feet now fit on the pedals without catching the edge of the others.

I have a pic somewhere of another deck at the ring in black but with standard VTi rims. I like the original silver but with all the work I fancy a change. As I've said before though, I will probably change my mind several times before I get to the bodyshop and again on the day.

No plans for any underbody trickery. The fabricators offered to cut out the spare wheel well so I could run the exhaust up the middle of the car. I've asked them to leave it alone for now, they've cut enough off the chassis :shock:

^^^^^Has it been TIG welded?-^^^^^^

Think its mig by the heat Penetration drag.gif1

>>underbody boarded up for the aerodynamics<< 8-) thinking about that aswell as well as rear diffuser

was one on another forum made of carbon :geek:

shrug.gif1 Can't weld, don't know!

Rear diffuser I can see that helping a bit, no plans to though.

Adjustable front splitter and a good aero package would do more for performance than engine work I would imagine, for the intended use of this car. Semi DIY kits seem to be getting cheaper these days- http://www.carbonmods.co.uk/Products/Un ... LT001.aspx

Guys at carbon mods are really helpful, I've eh....... spoken to them about some "other" stuff 8-)

Don't even go there. I studied Aeronautical Engineering at Uni and I hate that stuff, gives me nightmares even today :lol:

Adjustable front splitter and a good aero package would do more for performance than engine work I would imagine, for the intended use of this car. Semi DIY kits seem to be getting cheaper these days- http://www.carbonmods.co.uk/Products/Un ... LT001.aspx

some really sexy stuff going on here.... [smitten.gif]

theres another thread getting together some interest in hiring an airfield or a track for the Civic5 owners, you should come, then we could all drool at this in shock and awe

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11821

some really sexy stuff going on here.... [smitten.gif]

theres another thread getting together some interest in hiring an airfield or a track for the Civic5 owners, you should come, then we could all drool at this in shock and awe

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11821

They do track days at Dalton Barracks (old RAF Abingdon site in Oxfordshire) one Friday a month, I want to go there first as a) its fairly close to me, B) I learnt to drive there when I was a lad many moons ago. Be a while before the car is track ready yet though, I only ordered the fuel tank yesterday and it will take a little while to build [smash.gif]

I'd go up against yours, just to see the difference :o

Why not, see if all this work has made a difference :D !

• 3 weeks later...

Small update as the fabricators are still busy with race team cars coming up to the start of the season.

IMG_20130215_101736.jpg

Picked up the outer case for the fuel cell in the week and taken up to the fabricators. I thought it would be okay on the rear bench but it stands out a bit too much

IMG_20130215_115335.jpg

A bit of swearing later and the old fuel tank was ready to drop off the chassis

IMG_20130215_120906.jpg

Old tank is 55l, fuel cell will be 45l but there's not a huge amount of difference in size 8-)

So now they have to cut out the floor and droop the fuel cell through. They will use box section around the hole to stiffen the chassis back up but at least the cell will be lower to drop the C of G.

IMG_20130215_122749.jpg

Chassis is certainly stiffer and the cage isn't finished yet!

IMG_20130215_122805.jpg

Car is certainly in good company, old group A Prodrive scooby being "refreshed".

quote:

A bit of swearing later and the old fuel tank was ready to drop off the chassis

Brings back memories even more fun trying to get it up again with fuel in and on your back on your own :lol:

looks very pro work going on there :mrgreen: