1997 Honda Civic 1.6 - SHOW CAR PROJECT

JDMGirl

After intoducing myself in the "Introduction" section (appropriatly named ;)). I thought I would share with you what I have planned for my project.

She has a few problems... Here's most of them..

•Idle problem. When the engine gets up to temperature. The revs start to "vary". Going from about 1,000-2,500rpm. But when the A/C is switched on. It seems to stop. Anyone got any advice on what this could be?

•ABS&SRS sensor dash lights constantly on. I was hoping this would be a sensor thing. But I don't think it is having had a few people say to me it could be more than that, and more serious.

•Running rough. This problem is now solved. The gaps on the sparks were 2mm bigger than they should have been, and once corrected. It ran sweet as a nut.

•Hole in the sump. Upon inspection on a ramp, there was a small amount of oil leaking out. I have put a bolt in for now to stop it, but I am searching for a new sump. If anyone has one at a decent price. Feel free to pm me.

•Floor on passenger side is nearlly rusted through. Hoping to repair that ASAP!

To say that is has been stood for 2-3 years doing nothing and was well looked after previously. The engine is in pretty good condition (look wise) don't know about the running internally exactly. Will be looking at that soon. There is slight rust on the rear arches. Everyone I have seen seems to have rust there. There's a dent in the rear pannel next to the drivers side rear light and a broken headlight cover. Could have been hit on the front end at some time as it was on a farm, I don't know.

There will be updates on this soon as I am still wanting to see what I can do first. I am wanting to do an engine swap. Depends how this one performes really.

Here's some pictures :).

2013-02-17-287_1_zpsaaf00da2.jpg

2013-02-17-286_1_zpsd9163977.jpg

2013-02-17-285_1_zpse3aecb8e.jpg

I sure do, yes. It is pretty long..

•Lowered. Not to much, probably on coils so it's adjustable.

•Rims. I have found some pretty nice looking ones- might just see what the shipping price would be :D. Some STR 503's.

•Respray. After all the dents and whatever are knocked out. It'll probably need a good touch up on the paint. I know on the bonnet the paint is faded.

•Exhaust. Not a "fart cannon" but a nice size and relativley loud ;).

•I am thinking of doing an engine swap. Something like a H or a K series. Depends.

•I am going to be converting this to Manual- or might just keep it as an Auto. I haven't decided yet.

•Might turbo it. But don't know if that will wreck it or make it better... Suggestions?

•Fix everything else up like the idle problem and the srs and abs lights before any of the before happens.

There is more, but that's all from the top of my head. If you have any more ideas please- let me know :D.

Looks like a fairly solid car apart from the problems you've described, wish list will probably grow once you start looking at some of the others on here. :)

Is it throwing any codes for the abs problem. :?:

good solid base car you've got there, i had a pre facelift mb and that was a 1.6 automatic and that shifted surprised a few people with it as well, i still miss that car, but moved on to a vti aerodeck.

see you live in grimsby, where about's are you? as i'm near lady smith road.

Looks a pretty good base! as for the idle problem i had this, it turned out to be the throttle position sensor but i just changed to a known good throttle body with all sensors attached.

You could always try reading the flash codes using the wire loop trick, i thing there,s a how to on here some where? Thats how i diagnosed mine.

Have a look at the project threads, we have a turbo 1.6 auto deck on here ;)

I've got an awesome sounding fart cannon ;)

Engine swap wise there is a b20 deck on here too :D

Most of the swaps on here are b series, but don't let that put you off!

Rims and coil overs are a great way to go and definitely makes the best of the looks of the M.

Check out the car of the month winners and you're list will grow! 8-)

That's the thing. I am worried about the list getting too big ahha. I was thinking of a B, but I am not sure. Will have to wait and see about what I can pick up ;). They're probably the cheapest way to get it "low".

Looks like a fairly solid car apart from the problems you've described, wish list will probably grow once you start looking at some of the others on here.

Is it throwing any codes for the abs problem. :?:

You're all worrying me about the list, aha.

Although one thing has bee added.. Spliter, I think it'd make the car look a little "meaner" and could look better with it. Not that I know of. I haven't had a diagnostics kit on it yet.

good solid base car you've got there, i had a pre facelift mb and that was a 1.6 automatic and that shifted surprised a few people with it as well, i still miss that car, but moved on to a vti aerodeck.

Sure it wasn't this one? ahah :lol:. They're a car you get attatched too, i'll give you that. I haven't had mine a year and I am already attatched to it. And yes, more the outskirts of the town though. Beelsby. You know where that is? Im near enough always down lady smith road. Supprised I have not seen it yet...

Looks a pretty good base! as for the idle problem i had this, it turned out to be the throttle position sensor but i just changed to a known good throttle body with all sensors attached.

You could always try reading the flash codes using the wire loop trick, i thing there,s a how to on here some where? Thats how i diagnosed mine.

Cheers. I'll have a look into that and cheers for the advice :). And i'll have a look for that, thanks :).

• Like 1

Sure it wasn't this one? ahah :lol:. They're a car you get attatched too, i'll give you that. I haven't had mine a year and I am already attatched to it. And yes, more the outskirts of the town though. Beelsby. You know where that is? Im near enough always down lady smith road. Supprised I have not seen it yet...

nah not mine, mine was a mb1 1.6 ls in silver/grey, the reg was in fact this was my project thread for the old girl, http://www.civic5.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=7022

You're all worrying me about the list, aha.

Although one thing has bee added.. Spliter, I think it'd make the car look a little "meaner" and could look better with it. Not that I know of. I haven't had a diagnostics kit on it yet.

See it's started already, just one more thing. :lol:

Don't need a diag kit just bridge the two pin connector next to the glove box and with ign on ii see if you get any flashes and check the manual.

http://www.civic5.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=2247

sign_hi.gif1 Very nice, don't see a lot of black M's around (Apart from pirate black VTi-S) Looking forward to seeing what you do to her and hopefully fix the problems. I had the exact same idle problem as you which is on my MB3. I replaced and played with a lot of things (Idle control valve, throttle position sensor, map sensor) and it turned out to be the air in the cooling system (bubble in the coolant) and this runs through part of the throttle body which causes the sensors read wrong. Hopefully you get it sorted out ;)