Dinochips Project mb6

dinochips

Do you have any reinforcemenst for the box inside? Material looks really thin for good bass box. BTW remove the trim behind the box, there is good space for box hiding. :P

Well it's just me, doing nuke-proof bass boxes but with box as big you have I'd use at least one inch thick hard plywood or closer one and half inces of MDF. 

What kind of port are you using? Seems that enclosure is not so big so port cannot be really big without tuning going to too high frequency.

I'm just curious as car audio hobbyist :D

A audio hobbyist ayy may come to you for some advice in the future :D

the box will be made from 12mm mdf and I am planning on pulling out the port from my fusion sub box and put it in the side of my box facing the rear seat. I want a box which will sit nicly in the boot and give you the same amount of bass as the big box. planning on getting a audio bahn 12" sub.

not thought about a internal structure recon i will need one?

nicks creations look amazing and im very tempted i just thought i would give it ago first, if i fail i will be talking to nick :D.

Yeah true Im not a veyron fan I just thought it was funny watcing it get a ticket which wont be cheap as it was parked right outside harrods.

shelf is probs the most sensible part I have bought so far but worth it 8-)

A audio hobbyist ayy may come to you for some advice in the future :D

the box will be made from 12mm mdf and I am planning on pulling out the port from my fusion sub box and put it in the side of my box facing the rear seat. I want a box which will sit nicly in the boot and give you the same amount of bass as the big box. planning on getting a audio bahn 12" sub.

not thought about a internal structure recon i will need one?

Well there is few variables that you need to have right when building a box. You can't have the bass of big box out of small box. But you can make a small box and thing going down then is sensitivity. Also box with port has to be tuned right and preferably to the frequency speaker manufacturer recommends.

Building box that small I'd recommend building sealed enclosure. As you can find from all kinds of box calculators, vented box with proper tune for car use (30..35Hz) and pipe diameter of even 3"will need quite long ( about 12") reflex pipe. Smaller the enclosure, longer the pipe. Also longer pipe if diameter is bigger. With 3" tube you can have like 100W of power without signifficant compression with reflex port, but okay that is loud already.

12mm MDF is really thin. I recommend to add supports between opposite walls. For 12" sub enclosure has to be strong enough to 100kg man to jump on it without damage, forces are big with sub enclosures. And vented box has to be even stronger or it won't work like it should.

There are two ways to build working subwoofer:

1. Choose a speaker and then design appropriate enclosure for it.

2. Design an enclosure and find suitable speaker element for it.

But you cannot fix both variables and then force the combination to work. What audiobahn model were you thinking of? And what is the internal volume of your box?

Any more pics of the shelf? I was thinking of getting one to replace my boot tidy. How deep is it? Also did you get it from Rimmer Bros?

I will upload some this weekend for you mate, I recon its problably about 15cm deep in parts which is enough for me, and yeah got it from rimmer bros.

Well there is few variables that you need to have right when building a box. You can't have the bass of big box out of small box. But you can make a small box and thing going down then is sensitivity. Also box with port has to be tuned right and preferably to the frequency speaker manufacturer recommends.

Building box that small I'd recommend building sealed enclosure. As you can find from all kinds of box calculators, vented box with proper tune for car use (30..35Hz) and pipe diameter of even 3"will need quite long ( about 12") reflex pipe. Smaller the enclosure, longer the pipe. Also longer pipe if diameter is bigger. With 3" tube you can have like 100W of power without signifficant compression with reflex port, but okay that is loud already.

12mm MDF is really thin. I recommend to add supports between opposite walls. For 12" sub enclosure has to be strong enough to 100kg man to jump on it without damage, forces are big with sub enclosures. And vented box has to be even stronger or it won't work like it should.

There are two ways to build working subwoofer:

1. Choose a speaker and then design appropriate enclosure for it.

2. Design an enclosure and find suitable speaker element for it.

But you cannot fix both variables and then force the combination to work. What audiobahn model were you thinking of? And what is the internal volume of your box?

i think i will add some supports then. port i have looks to be long enough will take a photo and upload it when i get the chance. Was looking at getting a

AudioBahn AW1251T

only as heard from a few mates they are ment to be pretty good.

Im only looking for the sort of bass you feel through the seats with this subbox but i supouse its going to be a matter of trial and error. no idea what are the internal sizes of the box as still havnt made the back yet but will try to tonight.

cheers for the help so far tho mate.

Okay

Found the manual from audiobahn website: Here

It shows that audiobahn speaker is suitable for quite big range of boxes. But like the manual page 8 tells you, the box size should be between 1.5 and 2.5 cubic feet. Id say your box is at the smaller and when knowing the measurements of MB boot. Could be quite close to that 1.5 cubic ft. So you should try 3 inch diameter port with length of 6.5 to 7 inches. If your box is smaller, use a bit longer tube and if it's larger use shorter tube. That is a good starting point. 4 inch diameter should be then a bit longer, 9-11 inches, calculate for more detail.

Tune of ported box tells quite a lot how it sounds, if tune is low you'll get more low end bass and also good power handling for lower notes. If tune is high you'll get lots of upper bass and no control at all with lowest notes. Ported box usually boost the frequencies around the box tune.

Tune of ported box is defined only by box volume and measures of port, so it's easy to calculate and there are like tens of calculators found from internet. Just insert box volume and port diameter and length. Here is one calculator Looks like that Audiobahn has made the recommended boxes with about 37-40Hz tune. It's good for car environment because interior volume of car boosts lowest frequencies and so to get a flat response, 30-40Hz tune is good point to start searching best sound. That seat shaking bass is found by taking tune a bit lower to boost the lowest end. 30-35Hz tune and enough power gives you the nice feeling of power.

By comparing audiobahn recommendations and your wishes, good aim is to put 35hz tune to calculator and see what kind of port your enclosure would need.

15 minutes measuring and calculating is hours saved in trial and error experiments.