Shafz's NHB '02 EP3 Type R Build!

Shafzzz

Good man! I arrived at Tom's and within 30 seconds of getting out of the car the man was snow-foaming the bread van for me and giggling at the hot brake discs!

Well that's Japfest done, great day and was nice to talk to some of you, I apologise if I seemed a bit unapproachable that morning, 2hrs sleep + 2 1/2hr drive + a check engine light doesn't help matters...

I thought the check engine light was cause of the sports cat, which it normally is for as it only ever comes on on the motorway but on the way to Japfest in convoy prior to the meeting point I missed a gear which meant the revs shot up past 9.5k for a second or two, managed to clutch in and rectify it but one of the check engine codes was for 'engine overspeed condition', which now has me worried. I made the 120 mile drive back fine though but it really put a downer on my morning, I'll try and be more approachable next time, I'm always less stressed at japfest 2 :)

Anyway plans for the car now:

Compression test to make sure I haven't messed anything up

Car booked in for tinted windows next week finally!

If all is still healthy, get a manifold, decat and K100 all mapped in

Fit the carbon fibre bonnet -

Friday 15th May 2015 - The day before Japfest

Ah yes, the carbon fibre bonnet. I've had it sitting downstairs for a while, boxed, unopened and decided for Japfest I'd try and fit it. We unboxed it, it was perfect bar the fact it didn't have washer jet holes, but had little dimples where the jets would go so could provide a guide of where to drill.

Got it fitted to the car, it had a catch on the bottom so I assumed I could put it on without the need for aerocatches...

Bonnet off:

bonnetless_zpszr9tg5x0.jpg

New bonnet of.. sort of:

bonnet%20on_zpsy5nkhasb.jpg

bonnet%20onish_zpshjj3wf5b.jpg

I say sort of because.. the latch on it was crap. It wouldn't shut, no amount of force, swearing, adjusting etc could get it to latch on properly and shut.. so I'm going to go for the aerocatches route as I originally wanted to because this seems to be the only way to get it to fit properly. Atleast I tried so now I know, just gutted I couldn't have it on before japfest :(

I take it the engine sounded okay afterwards mate, no rattles or knocks? My brother told me of an S2000 that came in when he worked at Honda that had gone from 6th to 2nd at about 100ish, clocked around 15,000rpm and only bent one valve! Hopefully yours is okay! I would be in a mood too!

No rattles or knocks and has been driving fine, just want compression checked for peace of mind, it made the journey back fine and was fairly economical surprisingly but again, just worrying me now and hopefully it hasn't damaged anything. It still pulls fine/hard in every gear I've tried so I'm hoping I caught it before it caused any damage! If all is well the chase for power will be on, prior to Japfest I was considering selling my EP3 for a Mazda3 MPS because of turbo and spec but now I feel like keeping the EP3 and making it a bit of a weapon - again assuming everything is fine with the engine!

All is well! So I've emailed my local well renowned tuner for the price of K100 + a map as well as a 3" exhaust (optional as I have a 2.5" exhaust but there's gains to be made I just need to weigh it up vs cost), also trying to find out what the best manifold would be for me, I want a PLM but they're USA only and the UK distributor for them is currently down so trying to sort that out! Aim is a streetable 230 on a low reading dyno :)

I read that folk up at TDi North have seen good gains swapping from 2.5" - 3". I think the Tegiwa manifold is meant to be rated? 

Glad to hear all is well with the engine! :D

• Like 1

I read that folk up at TDi North have seen good gains swapping from 2.5" - 3". I think the Tegiwa manifold is meant to be rated?

Glad to hear all is well with the engine! :D

Thanks! I have to get a JDM front anti roll bar now to clear whatever manifold I get, Tegiwa is a good shout and yeah the gains from 2.5" exhaust to 3" exhaust is like 5-10bhp top end, gonna save up and do it all in one go I suppose! Modding EP3s stupidly expensive!