stance boys beware

Jayhoath83

Well i spoke to my cuzz's sister in law who is a copper n she said its been brought in as legislation which means its down to there descretion n she said that shees pulled one lad already coz it was ridiculous and they could see the rims protrude so i think a little stretch wont get noticed

Sounds like what I said earlier, if it's obvious it'll draw attention, like most things really! 

But that's my point Doc .. Who defines "same region" one copper might think 5mm is ok, the next might not ..

I suppose, as far as width goes it has to be related to the width of the wheel you've got, coz that's what the tyres been designed to run on.

As far as the 'height' of the tyre, then you should be able to get fairly close to the original tyre and wheel combo... Once you start getting too far away from that Diameter it's going to make your speedo wrong, and i think that would have caused a problem with an eagle eyed copper anyway, even before they started looking at stretch?

I suppose, as far as width goes it has to be related to the width of the wheel you've got, coz that's what the tyres been designed to run on.

As far as the 'height' of the tyre, then you should be able to get fairly close to the original tyre and wheel combo... Once you start getting too far away from that Diameter it's going to make your speedo wrong, and i think that would have caused a problem with an eagle eyed copper anyway, even before they started looking at stretch?

even if the wheel + tire is a significantly different size i wouldnt have thought they could argue about it as long as the tire was correct for the wheel as all you would need to say is that the speedo has been recalibrated, they would have a hard time proving otherwise at the roadside and i cant imagine they could be arsed to check it every time, the problem is gonna start if they have a list of tire sizes that are appropriate to the factory car and wont budge off those peramiters

• 3 weeks later...

They're trying to enforce more and more laws on the motorists because lets face it, some folk, not even with a modified car, but on the breadline, will opt to buy a couple of tyres if desperately needed that are say 65's instead of 70's, or 55's instead of 60's, if they're cheap enough for them. To start charging folk for this is bloody stupid, but I can believe this new law exists. The reason is that I heard a while back that they are actually looking to make it illegal in this country to modify any car. All cars must be as they left the factory, no modifications (that weren't carried out by the dealership under warranty/call back issues) at all. Even down to head units! This is what the whinging greenies who hate cars and anything motorized in general are trying to push through, and I believe that one day, not in the immediate future though, this will go ahead. Totally pisses me off! I mean, I'm all for saving the planet etc, but what good does it actually do reducing the uk's carbon footprint when a hell of a lot of other countries don't give a shit! Look at the likes of India, the cars dont even have any kind of mot type test and most are bloody death traps, most probably put out far too many emissions due to never being serviced, and their roads are chock-ablock with cars! Then there's the Americans......if a car doesn't have a big thumping V8 or V6, and get 6 miles to the gallon, they don't drive em! lol ok, thats a slight exagerartion but you get the picture. It's always the good old uk who has to confirm to crap and make everyones lives more miserable. Like I say, im all for saving the planet, but ffs, it's going to go bang eventually! Doesnt matter what we do here in this country, the planet will one day be no more.

So the government, and more importantly, the EU, try everything they can to punish the motorist! we're easy targets, always have been, and great for policing stats. I found out from someone I once knew who was a copper that when a police officer charges a motorist for any offence, doesnt matter what it is, even if it doesn't go through court or does and gets thrown out, it goes down as a crime solved. Sane with parking tickets, if they're issued by police traffic wardens (which thankfully they're arent many of now) it goes down as crime solved. Then when they publish the yearly statistics, it looks like crime has gone down in the country, and that they're doing a great job. Bollocks!

So as for tyre stretching, it's not something I would ever do to any car I own, as I don't actually like the stretched tyre look. All it does is leave your rims, which cost a hella lot more than a tyre, exposed to damage from kerbs etc. Cambered cars, again, not something I would ever do. Some cars i do like the look of with the "stance", as long as it's subtle. Hate mega stanced cars as I personally think, like that pic above, look totally stupid. Not heard of anyone around here being done for this new law, so hopefully it won't be used much.

• Like 1

I think by the time they ban modifying cars, they will be driving themselves anyway and will leave no reason for us to care anyway! 

Plus a lot of newer cars have the bits and pieces I want as far as Bluetooth and USB connectivity go, DAB is a bonus but not essential! But it's always good to put your mark on a car, even if you don't go mad with it!