Air con delete = cold heating?

dr_broon

Now that there's no air con rad the heating in my car really seems to struggle to get warm unless the engine's been worked a bit, but pootling around in traffic the temp really drops.

Has anyone else noticed this?

I'm thinking about rigging up some kind of blanking plate to sit where the air con rad used to be. I'm sure i remember one of the guys from eastern Europe having something that covered the whole of the grille area for this reason?

Sounds like a plan Simon. On my first M, the 1.4, it didn't have aircon but had a blanking plate where the aircon rad should be so maybe they do need one? Best bet is nip to local breakers and find a civic m without aircon and get the blanking plate from that, will be a straight fit. ;-)

Yeah the non aircon civics with half rad. Do come with a blank I did have one for my eg but it's been thrown away. Can't find it anywhere.

But still having said that I've never had any issues like that without it. Sure it's not thermostat failing. Does take a long time to warm up in the first place?

Engine gets up to temp no probs, and heat is fine if I've given it a bit more stick. The thermostat is only a few years old (i know that doesn't mean much though :D)

Think that it's worse at the minute because I'm waiting for a new resistor pack so the fans are on 3, and think that it's cooling it down even quicker. If i turn the fans off for a few mins it's warm for a little while then cools down pretty quick.

And it's fookin freezing at the mo :shock:

Cabin fan setting 3 does dissipate a lot of heat so things will improve a little when you replace the resistor pack. (settings 1 and 2 are best during cold snaps)

You could also consider fitting a higher rated stat for the cold Months.....back flushing the interior rad should also help.

If you're struggling to find the blanking plate that's missing.........you could use cardboard as a stop gap.

Good luck with getting a bit of heat into your car despite the extreme conditions :)