Hey all!

3 years SORN... 😢 

Got some cash, grabbing some MeisterR, getting the speedlines refurbed and power coated in championship white and... AD08RS... is what I'm going for... right?

My beloved VTIs only goes out in summer on dry days, gets jacked, alloys off, battery out, garaged for the rest of the year.

So I want great tyres that get love in use and wrapped up out of use.

Anyone got any insights? I feel Yoko Advan AD08RS are legit tops, heritage dispite the drop in performance from the AD08 days, but lacking Toyo R888, anyone know of better and why?

Any suggestions or fanboy throwins welcome ❤️ 

• Like 2

Hey bud, glad you're getting the old girl back in the road. 

I'm a big fan of uniroyal rain sports. I know you're only going to be out in the dry, but you never know what's coming, and they're fantastic in the wet. Good in the dry too. Bit soft and wear quickly, but I've used them for years now. 

• Like 2

Yeah, have to agree with Simon. Never know what the weather is going to throw at us in this country mate. I used to have the Toyo T1Rs on my wee MA civic and on Ruby, butvthey wore out quite quickly. Switched to Goodyears and loved them, and did have them on all my cars until recently. They seem to have an issue (maybe I was just unlucky) of the rubber between the grooves separating. Last set on the mini had tons of tread left, we're only about 3 years old but we're buggered because of the cracks in the rubber.

Just fitted a set of Avon all season tyres to DD and found them to be amazing! Superb grip in the dry and the wet, quite low road noise too. Worth a look.

Thanks Dave, thanks for the suggestion! Has anyone used the AD08RS? True about the weather, but only the finest of fine days does the VTIS get to go out ;)

I have actually used both Rainsport 5 and the AD08RS tires, so I think I'll just throw my two cents in here.

The Rainsports are literally a 10/10 in the rain - I once drove on the Autobahn during a heavy rainstorm with around 130kph and I didn't get even the slightest bit of aquaplaning at all!
But their dry grip is not the best to be honest. They tend to understeer and 'smeer' during cornering, so maybe a 7.5/10 in that category.

The AD08RS are also very good in 'bad' (rainy) conditions - I'd give them an 8/10 in that regard, they grip quite well in the wet for semi-slicks.
When I went over to my mates' to put the new tires on my wheels it was still early February and quite the rainy evening, but the brand new tires didn't feel slippery or dodgy in those cold and wet conditions at all! (Around 5-7°C and quite a lot of rain)

Their dry grip is in a completely different league as well - the car feels like driving on rails compared to the old Rainsports.

On my usual B-roads there were a few corners that always felt a bit dodgy/understeery when I took them with 100kph, but the Advans give me nothing but confidence!

So, my recommendation for you would be the AD08RS.
Their dry grip is almost perfect in my opinion and they are good enough in the rain, especially if it's mainly a dry-weather car. (And I use them for my daily, so...)

Plus a few pictures comparing the fitment (same tire sizes for both of them):

IMG_20230415_141551.jpg.752cec46d9d272b6aec8c672b90d07a1.jpg20240314_110422.jpg.31cd5882dd1c9bf041153f41ff7ca161.jpg

• Like 2

Can't disagree with what you've said there really about the rainsport. They are better in the wet, but at least they're quite progressive in the way they start to lose grip and give you plenty of warning. I can well imagine there's much better dry tyres though. 

We've recently tried some toyos on the wife's accord and they're horrid compared to the rainsport. They're supposed to be wet weather tyres as well but they're nowhere near the uniroyals

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2024 at 10:17 AM, SirPaperbag said:

I have actually used both Rainsport 5 and the AD08RS tires, so I think I'll just throw my two cents in here.

The Rainsports are literally a 10/10 in the rain - I once drove on the Autobahn during a heavy rainstorm with around 130kph and I didn't get even the slightest bit of aquaplaning at all!
But their dry grip is not the best to be honest. They tend to understeer and 'smeer' during cornering, so maybe a 7.5/10 in that category.

The AD08RS are also very good in 'bad' (rainy) conditions - I'd give them an 8/10 in that regard, they grip quite well in the wet for semi-slicks.
When I went over to my mates' to put the new tires on my wheels it was still early February and quite the rainy evening, but the brand new tires didn't feel slippery or dodgy in those cold and wet conditions at all! (Around 5-7°C and quite a lot of rain)

Their dry grip is in a completely different league as well - the car feels like driving on rails compared to the old Rainsports.

On my usual B-roads there were a few corners that always felt a bit dodgy/understeery when I took them with 100kph, but the Advans give me nothing but confidence!

So, my recommendation for you would be the AD08RS.
Their dry grip is almost perfect in my opinion and they are good enough in the rain, especially if it's mainly a dry-weather car. (And I use them for my daily, so...)

Plus a few pictures comparing the fitment (same tire sizes for both of them):

IMG_20230415_141551.jpg.752cec46d9d272b6aec8c672b90d07a1.jpg20240314_110422.jpg.31cd5882dd1c9bf041153f41ff7ca161.jpg

Thanks for this man, appreciate the time to break it down.

They do look sweet (AD08RS), It's like you said, the stiff walls give great feedback and give that feel of confidence I'm after.

My VTIs is my beloved thing, only goes out of the hottest dry days, this year... 0 days out haha. So having the best dry performance is important, did I mention they also look cool? :P

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...