Sill rust concern

dokuku

Question

7 answers to this question

Hmm I wouldnt. It's a common issue for sure. But they rust from the inside out usually so if you attempt a repair be prepared for the inner sill jacking point all to need repair. Gets expensive quickly 

• Like 1

Also common rust place on these is the front floor under the front footwells. If sill are rusty I'd expect to find rust on floor too and towards the front of the sill behind the skirt.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2024 at 3:15 AM, dokuku said:

Went to view a VTI-S on the weekend and was presented with this. 

Is this just something you expect to live with when wanting a 90s honda?

Would this put you off. This is the only patch I could see. 

https://ibb.co/MpwJsWn

Hey Bro,

Same with the one I wanted, common area. Poked and made it all worse haha, was the same on the other side, but the stability was still there, so a couple of small welds and used Isopon skin, high build primer, done. Got the other areas the side trim attaches to (in pics) back to bare metal, Jenolited everywhere, painted. Annoying at the time I painted gloss black to get it protected as nh605p was out of my dead budget! So check the side trim as it will have work for you :P

You one looks better than mine, still be prepared as Kink says, that rust is coming from the inside out, you need to get at the source.

If you love it and really want it, get it and sort it.

20180630_144859.jpg

20180630_141424.jpg

2018-08-10 17.45.06.jpg

2018-08-10 18.09.55.jpg

2018-08-10 18.50.37.jpg

2018-08-10 19.10.02.jpg

2018-08-10 19.17.44.jpg

2018-08-10 22.04.13.jpg

20180321_091656.jpg

20180521_161152.jpg

20180521_161156.jpg

20180630_133919.jpg

• Like 2

Nice work @AdzVTIS yeah, the sill ends, inner sills and top and bottom of rear arches is a common rot spot on these now. Depending on how the rest of the car is and the price, it might still be worth getting. Can always use it as a haggling point. Just bear in mind that to get it repaired properly at a garage won't be cheap, so you need to figure that into the equation. You won't necessarily get back what you put into them when selling, but that's the same with all cars tbf.

Thanks @Dave, anyone seen the newish series by Roverjoe on youtube? Damn, the initial rust on his arches and sills filled me with proper dread but he, for an armature, did very well! Still so crazy the inter swappable parts from the rover 45/400/mg zs.

• Like 2

Yeah, been following his progress videos and on FB/here in the forum. His work and dedication is amazing. Totally get why he's doing it do as the car has a lot of sentimental value to him too.