MC2 Project - Chassis prep

DeLaSoul

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Okay, time to bring this thread back fro the dead!

The Civic has had very little use this last 12 months as I haven't had the time to really do anything to it. Finally had a break over the summer to get a little more work done, and move my Aerodeck onto the next phase of the project. Long term I want this to be a bit of a track day warrior after my trip last year to the Nurburgring, I want to see what else I can do to improve a very capable car. I need to remove a lot of the "dead weight" from the chassis, so the niceties such as AC, sunroof rear seats are all going over the next few months!

I've started with removing all the ancillaries that I don't want, first with removing the AC:

20120805_150909.jpg

Then with taking off the front bumper and skirts to have a good clean and again work out what other weight savings can be made up front. Head light washers and fog lights aren't really needed on my car.

20120805_150852.jpg

20120805_150918.jpg

AC radiator and brackets off so far. With the pump, pipes and mounts that's over 10kg easily :geek:

I am also looking to remove the Power Steering and ABS in the next few weeks so I will try and keep this thread up to date as I go

sound deadning is weight radio, seatbelts, spare wheel, replace windows with plastic remove moter

seats are realy heavy i have rails for sale that will fit buckets seats if you want them

if you remove the ABS system, it will fail the mot in the near future, as it was standared on the mc2/mb6, this was ment to be introduced back in january, but has been pushed back till god know's when.

Most of the interior is going, was only planning on keeping the dashboard and heater. All the sound proofing is going too. I have been looking for a perspex window kit but haven't found one.

@ philgor - I didn't know that, cheers. Surely they would have to know if the car had ABS from new before they could fail me? Not that it makes much difference as I will be trailering the car most of the time from now on ;)

vosa tell's us on the mot check list when we redgester a vehicle for test, stantanered or an option, and what the sequence the warning light take's to show there is no fault........or it stay's on if there is a fault....