MC2 Project - Chassis prep

DeLaSoul

Not shure what the english word is but we call it tar matts. Are you removing those to? They are just to make it a bit more of a silent ride. Think they weigh about 2 or 3 kilo's.

We call it sound proofing.

It's a horrible job and time consuming too :)

Tell me about it! I did it on my RX-7 a few years back and it took me an entire evening with a hammer, chisel and blow torch WACK11111 I managed to to remove 8kg from the RX-7, before welding in 10 point JEGS roll cage! Overall once the cage goes in the Civic and the car comes out at the same weight she is now I will be happy.

Looking forward to getting back to the UK next week and get more work done. Only got a few months until the cage goes in and that will fly by before I know it.

will you be going with a full cage - door bars?

Full cage, dash bar, front and rear turrets and door bars. Will be mounting a set of proper seat rails and a peddle box :twisted: Will be itching to get her back together, save some pennies and start work on the engine

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Love this. How did you go on taking the original bush sleeves out? Absolutle **** of a job :lol:

Hi mate, sorry been away for a while (busy with work)

Bushes were easy, I used a sharp drill to make loads of holes in the rubber so the core comes out, then a saw blade to split the outer sleeve of the bush. This needs to be done carefully so as not the cut the arm. TBH you don't need to go all the way through, just weaken the sleeve, then just knock it out with a large flat bladed screw driver and a lump hammer. Takes about 10 minutes per bush. I admit I got lazy after the first 2 and used an air grinder on the sleeves :lol:

Love this. How did you go on taking the original bush sleeves out? Absolutle **** of a job :lol:

Hi mate, sorry been away for a while (busy with work)

Bushes were easy, I used a sharp drill to make loads of holes in the rubber so the core comes out, then a saw blade to split the outer sleeve of the bush. This needs to be done carefully so as not the cut the arm. TBH you don't need to go all the way through, just weaken the sleeve, then just knock it out with a large flat bladed screw driver and a lump hammer. Takes about 10 minutes per bush. I admit I got lazy after the first 2 and used an air grinder on the sleeves :lol:

Sounds like you did the sleeves alot quicker than me. Although when it come to removing the bush itself i chucked mine on the bbq :lol: its much more enjoyable work looking at them with can of beer in one hand and a ciggie in the other while your bushes just fall out :mrgreen:

Okay, back for another quick update. Interior is now stripped. wiring harness is now out of the car all the way from head lights to tail lights. Decided to take it slow and label EVERY plug as i disconnected it just in case. A lot of this is not going back in the car but it better to be safe than sorry.

20120929_155923.jpg

Started removing all the sound deadening yesterday (hard work) but it's coming together nicely.

20121013_153214.jpg

Started at the back, working my way forward

20121013_153217.jpg

Got as far as the front floor before I called it a day. I just have the heater matrix to remove up front and the last of the sound deadening and she's roll cage ready! I will collect all that damn material and weight it to see how much weight I've taken out :ugeek: