Unleaded vs Super Unleaded

feck_on_a_stick

Unleaded vs Super Unleaded  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What fuel do you regularly use?

• Regular Unleaded
    • Super Unleaded

I always use super not because it makes the car quicker because I think that is a placebo personally but I do believe it leaves less deposits in the fuel system. And maintains healthy fueling

This and....

I have used both and to be honest both seem the same to me

This!

unless you're running serious power or a jap import then performance gains are more than likely placebo! :wink:

This and....

This!

unless you're running serious power or a jap import then performance gains are more than likely placebo! :wink:

i sort of disagree n sort of dont (brace yourself long one comming up lol) when i worked in an engineering dep't at a college the 3yr motor vehicle students were doing this very study, they had a 4age jdm n a ukdm engine , each were set up on an engine dyno n they tested the engines on different fuels and belive it or not both engines responded better to the higher octane fuel but the dyno showed it only increased bhp by 1 or 2 bhp but it helped smooth out the power curve hence it must be better for the engine

then they tested the fuels to see what is actually in the fuels n the difference between supermarket fuel n companies like shell or texaco is pretty much just down to water content (which is always higher in supermarket fuels BEWARE)and the octane percentage n thats it basically

I always use shell v power it literally is the best fuel on the market but that i just my opinion

Bog standard BP or Shell for me :)

Ordinary fuel has many additives already so the extras in the "super" and the slower burning higher octane fuel isn't beneficial for ordinary engines.

People will always tell you otherwise though.

I notice it's smoother on 99RON fuels too, either VPower or Tesco Momentum seem to be the same so it's whichever is cheaper really! Have seen better miles per tank on it too! 

Though I haven't put any through the current M yet! 

• 2 months later...
Guest rallyeluke

the answer is yes... they do prefer it, and actually all engines will run better on the higher octane stuff but you will see more of a difference on some. my MB6 loves it and i use it whenever i can afford to, its also more efficient on long runs so in that situation the higher cost of the fuel more or less balances out.

the best stuff in the UK is either Shell V-power or (surprisingly) Tesco's high octane stuff which i cant remember the name of. both of them are 99 as apposed to the 97/98 that all of the other high octane fuels are, also Tesco's is usually the cheapest of the bunch

and to answer your ECU question, with a standard ECU in the car then it will run fine on normal stuff but it will prefer the super juice.... however if you remap it then you should really be using the high octane fuels

If an engine doesn't have a knock sensor then it will run the same on 95 as it does on higher octane fuel, if you manually adjust your ignition timing or your engine has the ability to do it itself then you will notice benifits from higher octane fuel but it is not a given

If an engine doesn't have a knock sensor then it will run the same on 95 as it does on higher octane fuel, if you manually adjust your ignition timing or your engine has the ability to do it itself then you will notice benifits from higher octane fuel but it is not a given

I tend to notice things like starting is easier, cold temp performance is smoother (not thrashing it of course!) and I get extra miles per tank too so even if it's not adding bhp it seems to have a positive effect, at least a placebo effect at that! :lol:

Hmmm RON rating is simply how much compression the liquid can take before it combusts the higher the rating the less likely pre Combustion will take place ie. misfire, knocking

Your power curves will be smother and more stable as the fuel is combusting with the spark when it should as opposed to slightly before or worse after. As for super market fuels your typically getting the same stuff you be getting from the 95ron pumps with added ethanol to bring the Ron up to 99 I'm sure this is mixed in the fly as you pump your fuel which is why when tesco morrisons run out of fuel they have no fuel

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here :P

Guest rallyeluke

it shouldnt make any difference between 95 and 99 if your engine cannot actively utilise the fuels added ability to resist pre detonation, if you advance your ignition timing to utilise the added protection of higher octane fuel then you will notice a benefit but if your engine doesn't have a knock sensor or you dont manually adjust the ignition timing through the dizzy it will make no difference.