Unleaded vs Super Unleaded

feck_on_a_stick

Unleaded vs Super Unleaded  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What fuel do you regularly use?

• Regular Unleaded
    • Super Unleaded

Guest rallyeluke

it is a well known common myth that cone filters work better on turbo setups then they do on nasp setups (no doubt due to the very black and weight understanding of "more air means more go") I imagine that is why they chose that car and that engine configuration.  in all honesty MCM are not the only ones that have dispelled cone filters with science and data but there you go :) In a reality a HONDA needs a open induction setup of some kind so you can hear that filthy metallic angry VTEC noise 8-)  8-)  8-)  8-)  8-)  

indeed, also i wasn't particularly talking about cone filters, just the cold air feed, most people will agree that the best setup is an oem dc2 air box WITH a cold air feed (i however don't personally have any experience with them so can only go on what other people have said)

it shouldnt make any difference between 95 and 99 if your engine cannot actively utilise the fuels added ability to resist pre detonation, if you advance your ignition timing to utilise the added protection of higher octane fuel then you will notice a benefit but if your engine doesn't have a knock sensor or you dont manually adjust the ignition timing through the dizzy it will make no difference.

All b series have self learning ecu's so they do benefit from higher octane fuels

Guest rallyeluke

All b series have self learning ecu's so they do benefit from higher octane fuels

The B18c4 has a knock sensor then? 

Guest rallyeluke

In reality any mpg benefits you may see will almost certainly be negated by the additional cost of super unleaded over conventional pump gas, if you are really interested in getting the most out of higher octane fuel the only true way is to have the vehicle mapped effectively to run on higher octane gas asany ecu fuel trim and ignition curve adjustments will only be made within the ecu's very limited closed loop functionality. 

And if the B18c4 doesn't have a knock sensor it has no way of actively adjusting ignition curve so it cannot utilise higher octane fuel unless you adjust dizzy yourself.

How well does the B18c4 respond to ignition advance?  On my D16a9 powered ed7 91 civic it loves advances and you can run full advance off the dizzy and it does not det, B series is quite fragile I head in regards to detonation

I think, so dont quote me they are +15deg but cant remember of the top of my head n ur forgetting that the b series was designed to run on higher octane fuel as thats the norm in japan n thats why they do respond better to it n im not saying it will give u more power but the higher the octane the cleaner the burn which inturn helps the engine stay cleaner in the head n bores which is never a bad thing

Already have m8 n ur sort of right but no one is talking about engine knock as none of us are running that high of octane level to cause such an issue n as said these engines were originally designed to work with japanese 100 so using 98 in the uk or even 100 is not going to hurt the engine