Unleaded vs Super Unleaded

feck_on_a_stick

Unleaded vs Super Unleaded  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What fuel do you regularly use?

• Regular Unleaded
    • Super Unleaded

I was just wondering what people use in their MBs, particularly the B18.

I've always used regular unleaded in the Civic, really just because I can build Clubcard points to use at Pizza Express :P

I'm tempted to move to Super Unleaded though just to see how it affects performance and fuel economy.  As it's a jap engine, do these engines prefer the taste of a higher RON?  Is the ECU pretty adaptive when it comes to changing  between octanes?

the answer is yes... they do prefer it, and actually all engines will run better on the higher octane stuff but you will see more of a difference on some. my MB6 loves it and i use it whenever i can afford to, its also more efficient on long runs so in that situation the higher cost of the fuel more or less balances out.

the best stuff in the UK is either Shell V-power or (surprisingly) Tesco's high octane stuff which i cant remember the name of. both of them are 99 as apposed to the 97/98 that all of the other high octane fuels are, also Tesco's is usually the cheapest of the bunch

and to answer your ECU question, with a standard ECU in the car then it will run fine on normal stuff but it will prefer the super juice.... however if you remap it then you should really be using the high octane fuels

• Like 2

Always use Shell V-Power, its got stuff in it to keep the engine good and healthy, which I feel is needed with high mileage, but I do notice a small difference in mpg and responsiveness too.

I only use super unleaded as I notice it runs smoother and cleaner too as well as more efficient and powerful.

Also with the correct oil, fuel, spark plugs and correct timing the car can be a lot faster than one that is in standard trim on super stuff. Also every full tank I put in gets a bottle of octane booster in it just to help.

I'd also advise that if you are considering switching over to get the most benefit from it use a bottle of injector cleaner and get them cleaned that way you will have no gunk fro crappy unleaded in them.

when on the super unleaded do an ecu reset as this will essentially set the sensors correctly as well .

Hope this helps

I only put Shell V-Power and Tesco Momentum in my MB6. My MB3 I run on regular Asda unleaded, they have some additives in the fuel which helps clean the engine. Useful when your car is approaching 130,000 miles. :lol:

• Like 2

I always use super not because it makes the car quicker because I think that is a placebo personally but I do believe it leaves less deposits in the fuel system. And maintains healthy fueling

• Like 1

I always use super too, unfortunately there are no shell garages locally otherwise I would use that all the time.

I use momentum or esso super, it seems to run smoother but that's probably in my head, it's definitely better mpg though.

I always use super in both Ms a few more mpg in my MB3 and a bit smother , and have to use it in my MB2 coz of the hi comp also with the hi octane less chance of knock :)