Shafz's NHB '02 EP3 Type R Build!

Shafzzz

Thanks! I have to get a JDM front anti roll bar now to clear whatever manifold I get, Tegiwa is a good shout and yeah the gains from 2.5" exhaust to 3" exhaust is like 5-10bhp top end, gonna save up and do it all in one go I suppose! Modding EP3s stupidly expensive!

Only if you go chasing numbers! :D

• Like 1

This is true, I doubt I'll go JRSC/Boosted with it though as I like the natural response of the K20, but I want the midrange punch a remap provides (apparently it's as much as +35bhp midrange and that's on a stock EP3 with a map not even one with mods/bolt ons). I've got the car handling how I want it with the JDM RARB and the TEIN springs (very good springs might I add), and I have a new clutch so I may aswell chase power a bit right?

Car officially booked into tints next Thursday woo!

And my Japfest entrance photo

me%20arriving%20japfest_zpssqkhsitr.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah I've read the same about midrange power, apparently drives loads better even without mods! I do think I'll map mine at some point but need to deal with some TLC items first.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks! Long overdue update!

Since I had the clutch done in what is it.. January now, I've had a knocking noise coming from the front on hard launches and hard shifts, naturally I assumed this was a gearbox mount and upon inspection the rear engine/box mount rubber was gone and the mount was cracked, changed that for a new one but again the noise remained. As I don't do hard launches or shift particularly hard at redline daily, I decided to leave it but last week I decided to figure out the source of the problem.. and it wasn't what I expect it to be!

The front anti roll bar bushes and droplinks were completely gone! I could move the front anti roll bar side by side and could see where it was hitting the chassis! To my surprise front anti roll bar bushes were cheaper from Honda than from anywhere else so ordered them in, then got them fitted! 

I decided to check my rear anti roll bar bushes and they were looking a bit worse for wear but as I have a JDM rear anti roll bar I can't use the bushes from local motor factors as the JDM RARB is 3mm thicker. I got some superpro poly RARB bushes and got them fitted today and I promise you it made as much difference to the car as changing the RARB did in the first place. It feels firmer, tighter and sharper and paired with the TEIN suspension it handles really very well indeed. So no more odd knocking noises and better handling. Good times.

Nice! Always feels good with new links etc and I bet it's weird not having the knocks you've been used to!

Yeah it feels a lot more planted and definitely a sharper car to drive, massive massive difference! Also I recommend MTEC grooved discs and mintex pads to anyone, although the mintex's are noisy in town they're brilliant for stopping power, had to do my first emergency stop ever and even I stopped in a shorter distance than I was expecting to vs. the speed I was going! Everything in the back of the car became a front seat passenger :lol:

Oh good man. Glad ya sorted it.

Thanks man! Yeah it's all sorted.

I'm planning to go Santa Pod this weekend and then getting the car dyno'd on Sunday, nice to see how much (or little) power it makes as I suspect I have a leaking manifold now :(

Hopefully should hurt top end power just a little low end torque if anything at all. Probs not even that.

Hopefully should or hopefully shouldn't? And yeah I hope it makes good power, I'm aiming for anything more than stock as this is the first time I'm having it dyno'd. So 197 is the target :)

If it's lower than standard then it probably wants a remap as the ECU might 'panic' about the extra airflow and hold back. Mapping will help the ECU can make use of your current mods :)