EP3 Build *Updated*

blacksport01

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:lol::lol::lol: Im tempted to take it to rich and put it on the rollers but not until i know it is 100% mint so i'll be doing a minimum of 3k miles in it first and not using VTEC till 2k miles has been done. Im interested to know if it will gain or lose power in any way.

Ad was kind enough to put the wiring loom on the engine this morning. Not sure if he has fitted the gearbox yet

You do not need to do that may miles in it to run it in , what oil are you putting in it for running it in ? do not use fully syn as you will have smoking issues and the engine will not bed in , you want to use a cheap mineral oil for the first 500 miles and keep the revs off vtec and put the engine under load as much as you can ( eg 5th gear full throttle at 30mph to get to 50mph uphill would be even better ) do not do loads of motorway mileage when running in . After the 500 mile and a oil change she will be ran in and you can start to up the revs . Rich.

I'm not sure on the oil to run it in with. I've been told the thicker the better but these can run on 0-30 though they used 5-40 when they came out. Any oil you guys recommend to run her in?

I've never rebuilt a engine before to this extent so its a bit of a learning curve for me

Honda actually send them out of the factory filled with 0-20 mate!

Not sure how much they tell people that, but I have many many friends who work in there!

They reckon it's like water! and must be changed at 500 miles!

As Rich says, don't use a synthetic, get a proper mineral oil in it. Not commonly used any more as the minerals break down, so nowhere near as long lasting as Synthetic, BUT you only want it in there for 500 miles or so!

I have always got mine from halford , they only do one mineral oil just get that, Then change the oil and filter at 500 miles . then pop some thing more suitable in . Rich.

Brilliant write up you two! 8-) Love this kind of build, so hats off to ya! Dying to see this running again!!!

Just had to add this though......

Honda K series rebuild......

100_0894.jpg

sponsored by Gillette!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Well i questioned Honda technical about the oil today and they said they don't recommend any run in oil it is just the usual grade. He said i can use mineral oil but it won't make any difference and its my choice so it sounds like i wont have any problems which ever way i choose to go :D

Archived