EP3 Build *Updated*

blacksport01

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Valves all lapped in and fitted, inlet mani also fitted to head. I got a few more pics so will put them up tomorrow! Bit busier tomorrow so not sure how much I can do, but will do some more cleaning to get everything ready! 8-)

Sweet cheers for doing that mate. Hopefully it will be built up ready to go back in by tomorrow.

This arrived today :D

img_0076.jpg

img_0077.jpg

My new Exedy stage one complete 3 piece clutch kit. My lightened flywheel also arrived but i didn't have time to collect both so the flywheel is spending the night at the post office ready to be picked up bright and early tomorrow morning :D

Starting to get excited :lol:

Hope you like reading :lol:

Pic very heavy due to Ad (jalesi2001) getting a bit excited with the camera :lol:

Firstly a huge shout out to Jalesi2001 for giving me a hand today can't thank him enough and appreciate all his help

So here is the engine build starting from scratch with a step by step build.

First up we start with putting the main bearings (crankshaft bearings) in place

100_0851.jpg

Ensure both sides of the bearings are well oiled and oil the casing where the bearing sits(you can't use to much oil here)

Three bearings fitted

100_0856.jpg

And all main bearings in place

100_0857.jpg

Next up is get the crankshaft ready.

100_0858.jpg

Make sure you give all parts a good clean

100_0859.jpg

Once cleaned you can now place the crankshaft in place ready to be secured

100_0861.jpg

100_0862.jpg

100_0865.jpg

Right now for the lower block casing. Again give it a good clean

100_0866.jpg

Make sure you get all the old sealer (liquid gasket) off so you will have a good seal when you put it back together

100_0868.jpg

Once it is all cleaned and prepared you can carry on and fit the other halfs of the main bearings

100_0872.jpg

All bearings fitted. Again using a lot of oil as before

100_0871.jpg

Then it is ready to fit back into place. Just apply some liquid gasket (or if your me then a LOT :lol:) and its good to be bolted down

100_0874.jpg

Bolt it down starting with the 10 big bolts in the centre. Torque them down to the specified torque setting. Once they are done you do the same with the outer bolts (along the edges)

100_0875.jpg

100_0876.jpg

Right next scary bit is putting the pistons into place.

100_0879.jpg

First make sure your cylinder bores are well oiled and you have split the con rods in 2 to fit. Install your con rod bearings. Again you can't use too much oil

100_0877.jpg

Ensure piston rings are situated in the correct places as per shop manual (i think mine didn't move ;)) then compress the piston rings with a piston ring compressor then give them a tap into the cylinders. Ensure arrow on piston is pointing in the right direction

100_0880.jpg

Once pistons are in place install the other half of the con rod (the bit you split) and secure the con rods to the crankshaft

Before

100_0878.jpg

After

100_0881.jpg

Then torque your con rod bolts to the correct torque setting

Getting close to finishing the bottom end now. Next step is to install the baffle plate and the oil pump and torque bolts as per manual

100_0884.jpg

100_0885.jpg

You are then ready to install the oil pump chain and guides. You may have to install this before tightening the oil pump as Adam found out :lol:

100_0886.jpg

100_0890.jpg

Now that bit is done you can now fit your sump. Give it a good clean and ensure all the old sealer is removed for a good seal when refitted

100_0887.jpg

Once that is done apply a new lot of sealer

100_0891.jpg

100_0892.jpg

100_0893.jpg

Use a fair bit of sealer (i use to much just to be 100% it will seal)

Ad caught me off guard :lol::lol::oops:

100_0894.jpg

Then install your sump and bolt it together to the specified torque setting

100_0895.jpg

100_0896.jpg

My new rear main seal. This just taps in and is always worth fitting a new one especially if you go this far

100_0897.jpg

Right then. Bottom end is complete. Time for the top end. This is basically what you are faced with

100_0853.jpg

100_0854.jpg

So first up install your new cylinder head gasket then sit your cylinder head in place

100_0899.jpg

100_0898.jpg

Then start tightening your cylinder head bolts to the correct torque. You may need help as they are very tight

100_0901.jpg

100_0900.jpg

Once all is tight. Fit your rocker arms in place applying sealer where needed

100_0903.jpg

Then place your camshafts in place

100_0904.jpg

Then do up all your bolts to the correct torque (the chain guide at the top goes on after the chain is fitted)

100_0906.jpg

At this point you can get the timing chain and tensioner fitted. Firstly get your chain guides in place.

100_0902.jpg

Then fit the chain with the dark links on the chain in the correct position (should be marks on the crank and camshafts)

100_0905.jpg

Once your cahin is fitted you can then fit your chain casing. Again give it a good clean, remove all old sealer then apply new sealer and fit into place

100_0907.jpg

Once the chain case is on you can fit the VTC solenoid

100_0908.jpg

Right engine work complete. Time for everthing else. Get all your aux belt pulleys in place (water pump,alternator,idler pulley etc) and fit the aux.

100_0909.jpg

100_0910.jpg

Breather hoses can now be connected and all brackets installed

100_0911.jpg

Not many photos at this point as we were running out of time. So going to the transmission side of things its now time to fit your flywheel (or for me my LIGHTENED flwheel :D:D)

100_0912.jpg

100_0913.jpg

Once you have fitted the flywheel and torqued it up you can fit your clutch using the clutch alignment tool. So on goes my Exedy stage one clutch

100_0914.jpg

100_0915.jpg

So there we have it not fully finished as we ran out of time. It currently looks like this

100_0916.jpg

Things to do:

-Fit gearbox

-Fit engine wiring loom

-Install engine

-Then get someone else to turn the key :lol::lol::lol::lol::D

Hope you all enjoyed the update.

All comments good and bad.

Fire away with questions if you have any ;)

Excellent write up dude, im sure quite a few peeps will find that interesting, even if its a K series engine and not a D or B series fitted to the 'M's!

Just to add, once the auxilleries and aux belt was fitted, the valve clearances were done, then the rocker cover was cleaned and fitted with a new gasket. Like Dave says, we were running out of time so I had to put the camera down and actually do some work!!

Really chuffed with the progress we made, cant wait until next weekend to fit it to the car!!

Next installment next week folks!! ;)8-)8-)

Archived