EP3 Build *Updated*

blacksport01

Hope its good news! You've been so unlucky with that mate, bound to be due some good luck by now. Be good to see her running again, even better if its the original engine thats repaired. Just a pitty the replacements havent worked out but stick in there bud, will be all good in the end! ;-)

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't you get a little warranty with the replacement engine mate?

I'd have gone off my nut if I got one and it turned out to be bad!

I got 3 years warranty when I bought my car, and it covers the engine, so if you get totally stuck, come put your b****red engine in my motor, then I'll get a new shiney one off warranty :D

• 2 weeks later...

Right then i finally got the tool i needed to hone my cylinder out today. So as soon as we were quiet at work i got straight onto it. The good news being that the cyinder has cleaned up (a loot better than i thought it would) so it looks like i will be doing a complete bottom end rebuild.

The bad news is i got a bit excited and forgot there was a oil jet pipe which goes into the cylinder so i just stuck the tool in and off i went and snapped the damn pipe :lol: thankfully they are only £20 or something so that will be replaced as well

Its looking good at the moment. All the cylinders are honed out now and they look like new. Number 1 cylinder had some marks i couldn't get rid of but they were dealt with today. Just need to measure the bores now which hopefully i can get round to doing tomorrow. If they are within spec then i will start ordering bits for it. If they are out i'll send it away to get rebored and fit over sized pistons.

Out of interest does anyone know roughly the price i will be looking at to have all 4 cylinders rebored and oversized pistons supplied just in case it comes to that???

• 1 month later...

Thought i better do a bit of a update on this. Not a lot has happened but it is slowly coming together. This is how the engine currently looks

img_0072.jpg

img_0067.jpg

Firstly No. 1 cylinder had too much of a taper on it so it had to be rebored. It has now been rebored to .25mm oversize but still within Honda spec.

img_0069.jpg

Look like new now :D

Other than that i have just oredered just about everthing i need to build it back up. Pistons,conrods,piston rings are all together and ready to go

img_0073.jpg

Shiny bits :D

My main bearings (well 8 of them need 2 more which are on back order till end of the month)

img_0074.jpg

And lastly brand new chain guides, thrust washers, Coolant housing part which i broke when stripping it down and also a head gasket set which i havent got a picture of

img_0075.jpg

I will also be replacing my valve stem oil seals, lapping in all my valves and hopefully fitting a lightweight flywheel with new clutch and a new front engine mount then i think it will be ready to go :D

Excuse the iphone pics

Holly cow! Thats a whole load of honda parts right there! Good to see you making progress with it mate, been a hella lot of bad luck with the ep, but she'll come good in the end though. Are you rebuilding the original engine, or is that the replacement one?

Looks like you're gonna be busy lol Keep up the good work ;)

Archived