Replacement Sills

AJCivic

Question

Another MOT fail due to bad rust and holes appearing underneath the car.

I was wondering if replacement sill pieces are available for these Civics and the Rover/MG's too? I'm sure I've seen them for sale in the past. The guy who is hopefully doing the welding was wondering about that rather than patching everything.

I had the jacking point & sill at one side repaired last year and the rest of the sills didn't look all that bad. But this year (plus 6 months due to Covid) that same area has a big hole on the inner sill side, they've got areas at both sides halfway down where they're literally starting to crumble, big chunks were so weak they've been able to be pulled off, as well as that both rear arches have got holes in.

Not going well for the MB which I'd love to save but don't want to pay out for welding every year. :-(

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Guest Rob said:

Just did one side of mine during the first lockdown, one of these does the outside facing bit of the sill. you'd have to get the bottom and back patched i guess but this saved me a load of time combined with the rear arch panel

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143504334196

Nice one Rob! Did it have the holes already in it for the plastic side skirts to go back on or did you need to drill these? I'll add the link to our useful info section/parts section.

Dave

• Like 1

On 12/8/2020 at 9:21 PM, Dave said:

Nice one Rob! Did it have the holes already in it for the plastic side skirts to go back on or did you need to drill these? I'll add the link to our useful info section/parts section.

Dave

sorry dave havent been on here lately so missed your reply. no holes for the skirt trims so need marking out the distance between them before chopping the old out (i forgot to!) but apart from that worked a treat. also good to note if only a small section of sill is needed only one panel will do both sides in the usual spots, i had plenty left after doing the drivers side, sadly i never got round to doing the other side as found more issues lurking elsewhere and picked up an aerodeck recently.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, robali123 said:

sorry dave havent been on here lately so missed your reply. no holes for the skirt trims so need marking out the distance between them before chopping the old out (i forgot to!) but apart from that worked a treat. also good to note if only a small section of sill is needed only one panel will do both sides in the usual spots, i had plenty left after doing the drivers side, sadly i never got round to doing the other side as found more issues lurking elsewhere and picked up an aerodeck recently.

That's awesome mate, good to know. I might buy some just to have them there for if they're needed. Going to start building up a wee supply of spares I think as parts are going to get hard to find for these cars.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dave said:

That's awesome mate, good to know. I might buy some just to have them there for if they're needed. Going to start building up a wee supply of spares I think as parts are going to get hard to find for these cars.

They already are unfortunately cry.gif1

• Sad 1

The rear wheel arches are available for the civic on ebay and all4honda. They're cheap enough. I done the whole rear wheel arches on mine and carried on with the sills from there. The sills are not a complicated shape so although it's a pain, it's not too bad as long as the rust hasn't reached under the door, that's where it gets tricky. Also worth noting that there is stuff available for preventing sill rust, it's like a waxy stuff that you spray inside the sill and behind panels. I can't remember what it's called but it slows down any rusting from inside out nicely I'm told. Haven't gotten some myself yet but its on the list for future proofing 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PeterD207 said:

Also worth noting that there is stuff available for preventing sill rust, it's like a waxy stuff that you spray inside the sill and behind panels. I can't remember what it's called

Likely to be Waxoil (or similar) friday.gif1

5 hours ago, jocky2k said:

Did anyone end up buying the sills in the end? As I need need some and was wondering if they were the right ones and what the service/delivery was like. 

Yeh I got one last year. Think it took a few days to a week to arrive. Decent looking steel, hard to explain what part it covers but it's basically the outward facing part of the sill, not the underside. I only used about 200mm of the length for one side, looks to be reversible so you could use one panel for both sides depending on how much has rotted out. I'll try and find the photos of mine before and after