Don't know mate. Would only be guessing.

Does it smoke at any point? As that would be an indicator of stem seals or rings going.

Compression test would give you an indicator of engine health aswell.

Could it be that it's actually just running rich and contaminating the oil?

Never notice it smoking, but think it must do on a cold start as there's a sooty mark on the garage door. 

Had a compression test done a few months back when it had its service before the mot, and it was a bit down - can't remember how much now, it how many were down (was when I had my brain fog) but my mech wasn't worried (or didn't want to pull the engine apart too fix it :lol:). 

Would lie compression point to stem seals or just rings? 

Wonder if a new O2 sensor is needed if it's running rich? 

1 hour ago, dr_broon said:

Never notice it smoking, but think it must do on a cold start as there's a sooty mark on the garage door. 

Had a compression test done a few months back when it had its service before the mot, and it was a bit down - can't remember how much now, it how many were down (was when I had my brain fog) but my mech wasn't worried (or didn't want to pull the engine apart too fix it :lol:). 

Would lie compression point to stem seals or just rings? 

Wonder if a new O2 sensor is needed if it's running rich? 

Low compression would point to rings or valves not seating properly for one reason or another. But as engines high miler it's bound to have some wear, rings valve guides etc.  Not necessarily anything to worry about. Cold starts will leave sooty mark. Not to worry too much about that. 

blue smoke when let off throttle would indicate bad stem seals as the sudden vacuum could pull oil past the seal.

Not sure what's causing your issue. 

Just throwing things out there.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Wow... Been a long time since I posted anything in this thread :shock:

To celebrate the nice weather, the old girl has had her first wash of the year. 

Hopefully will be getting out in the road soon, the mot has lapsed while she's been hiding from salt. 

IMG_20220319_160110.jpg

IMG_20220319_165130.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well, winter seemed to go, so got her in for an mot, then the blummin snow and worse still road salt came back. complain.gif1

Still, got through the mot just needing a new steering rack boot as the old one had split. Even passed the emissions test (just..) before a service and the O2 sensor swap. 

Loved having a blast today after picking it up yesterday, and giving it a good wash and wax today. 

Love how pointy the front end is, the back just seems to hop into line behind when you turn in. 

Deffo some better shocks are on the list for this year though... I think that the oem spec ones are already too compressed with the eibach springs, and there's not enough damping left for anything more than a painted line

• Like 1