Haha! Cheers for all the advice guys... I wasn't on about welding the fork in place... Just the little collar that sits above it with just a 1 second spot each side... As its not the collar which takes the weight, its just a positioner collar and the fork bolt holds the fork in place on the strut i believe? But obviously i dont want to be killing the strut as can lead to bad things!!

But anyway im seeing my options of how to raise the fork a touch and see what i come up with! :)

Thanks again for all the input and help! :)

To try and get accross what i was thinking of doing without confusing people (which im good at!) ive done a little image to explain!

On the top shock the green lines are welds i would cut (hacksaw) to free off the fork collar

On the bottom shock i show i can then move the collar and fork (indicated in red) up 10 or 15mm, and then two little spot welds where the blue stars are to hold the collar in place.

The collar then lines up the fork then i can crank up the fork pinch bolt to hold the fork in place on the shock.

364ABF46-F5BF-41C2-B8FF-5AB174CA3C38_zps

Doing it this way am i still likely to boil up the fluid, as the only heat will be there for a second max, then i'll drop a little water on to instantly cool down??

I know i seem persistant with this idea but i think this way you can get it alot more accurate :)

Right lads.. I've made a decision!!!

New techniques dont get realised without taking risks! Theres an obvious chance here that i could f*ck the fluid in the shocks but im going to do it and see what happens!!! If s*it happens i have my original front shocks to put on and ill have to source another set of MG ZS front shocks!!

And your right tom, at some point i will be doing discs and pads all round and braided hoses at the same time so when that happens the collar wont be needed anyway!! :)

• Like 1

I always thought that bracket was just clamped on. Didn't realise it was welded.

Personally if it was my car, my money, I'd either go with what Tom has (shortened forks) or I'd live with the height until I could afford a better bolt-on solution. I couldn't let a welder near my shocks. Maybe try it on your originals first so you're not losing anything of value if it does mess up?