Feck's 1999 Civic

feck_on_a_stick

Correctomundo!

I've picked up a mk3 Golf GTI 16v horn off a local breaking car. The VTI's sworn enemy back in the day lol

Only in sales surely, ol' fatty couldn't pull your foreskin straight.

• Like 2

lol I think the Mk3 Golf gets an unfairly bad rep, mostly due to some bad reviews when it came out, and people who still look at a mk2 Golf through rose tinted glasses, but the 16v was a quick revvy little motor. They can be tuned quite easily too.  

Maybe I also just prefer it as nobody else likes them haha

I ran a complete shed GTI 8V for a while that I picked up for £600 and it would probably still be running when the world ends.

Geek fact:  The mk3 Golf had a drag co-efficient of 0.30 compared to 0.34 of a Ferrari 360 :P

295997_10150895767585386_669480385_21345

how come you are removing the exhaust? too loud?

I really need to do something about my horn as well.

Yep for my needs it's just too loud.  To be honest, it does make me laugh when I'm out hooning the car and in vtec it sounds amazing, but I want something that looks and sounds a bit more subtle, especially below 4,500rpm without any noticable power losses. 

My friend got my Jetex back box on last night so I'm going to head over and collect it later.  He said its now quiet enough to hear induction noise which is what I want, and more torquey than it was on the old system, which is a big statement for him as he normally hates Jap stuff lol

I'm some pics that he sent me that I'll upload later.

• Like 1

I do like the look of the Mk3 Golf, nearly convinced my mother to buy one so I could drive it when I passed my test (her previous car had just been written off) but she chose a Clio instead and immediately regretted it! :roll:

lol I think the Mk3 Golf gets an unfairly bad rep, mostly due to some bad reviews when it came out, and people who still look at a mk2 Golf through rose tinted glasses, but the 16v was a quick revvy little motor. They can be tuned quite easily too.  

Maybe I also just prefer it as nobody else likes them haha

Possibly, it is a good reliable car, I had an 8v in Indian red which I bought because I was convinced I needed something newer than the succession of mk2s I'd had.

It had 165k on it when I bought it and never gave me an ounce of trouble but it was just boring and not quick enough to be a gti. The vr6 is the only mk3 really worth having imo.

The mk3 8v def isn't a riveting drive lol It didn't stop me thrashing the tits off it round B roads.

The non turbo mk4 Golf GTI was the real embarrassment of the family though and def not worthy of a GTI badge.

I'd own a VR6 tomorrow just for the noise, but I priced insurance for one when I was looking at the VTI-S and the VR6 was £200 more lol

The mk3 8v def isn't a riveting drive lol It didn't stop me thrashing the tits off it round B roads.

The non turbo mk4 Golf GTI was the real embarrassment of the family though and def not worthy of a GTI badge.

I'd own a VR6 tomorrow just for the noise, but I priced insurance for one when I was looking at the VTI-S and the VR6 was £200 more lol

I looked at the mk4 when I was looking for the vti-s, I was looking at the turbo one though, the non turbo is just shameful.

• Like 1

Right I've finally got round to uploading some pics of the exhaust. 

So the general gist is that over the years the exhaust system has had bits and bobs changed and welded to it.  it seems to be a bit of a Frankenexhaust. I wanted something that looked standard but flowed better, so I bought a Jetex straight through back box as I've seen the improvements this backbox made to a Toyota 4AGE engine.

When my friend had a nosey at one of the silencers the insides were streaming out lol.

11A27F60-85D8-4200-840A-471E67182ACB_zps

He was also surprised to find that the silencer reduced the pipe size down to 1.5" inside, so there is definately some restriction there.  Now I know about this, I'll have to replace it as I can't be having things like that restricting flow!  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  My initial thoughts are to use DC2 bits?

C3B03181-E71D-4885-94CF-7DD228D04AEA_zps

CE245DFE-2CAA-4EE0-B573-9E619537B50A_zps

We decided though to keep it as is for now and put the backbox on, just to see how the new backbox performs noise-wise.  The rest of the system will get sorted at a later date.

He then sent me this pic saying it was finished and that he'd included some tasty carbon bits! :P 

85AB4E24-6AA3-4036-8101-FD147B379AA2_zps

This was the last pic that I got of it actually on.

06942F43-C31F-49B3-8862-EF5E5F99B3FF_zps

The backbox didn't come with a tailpipe so he has put a 2.5" piece of stainless steel on it.  It's 316 medical grade steel that he'd originally used as a downpipe for his old Audi S6.  I've still to see it in the flesh but I actually quite like it in the pic.  It's not a fancy rolled tailpipe but I think it makes it look more like an OEM exhaust.  It'll still shine up nicely with some wire wool.

I can't get the video to upload so I'll try that later and also try to get some better daylight pics :)