Feck's 1999 Civic

feck_on_a_stick

No idea, I've had fuel lines replaced before and had to leave the car most of the day for that! Can imagine if it sticks to tradition it'll be a b1tch!

• 2 months later...

I'm just updating this, more so I can keep track of what I've been doing to the car than anything else lol

I've been running the Rainsport tyres for the past two months or so and I have to say they are a fantastic tyre, especially in the wet.  I can't really lose traction with them and they inspire plenty of confidence.  The only critism I have of them are that the sidewalls are a little bit soft but it's not such a big issue and I'd rather have the grip over a bit of play in the sidewall.

I also got the brake and fuel lines replaced.  I'd discovered soon after I'd bought the car that lines were all a bit corrosive and planned on just getting them cleaned up, but after getting the car undersealed I noticed fuel was weeping from the lines, so figured I'd get them all replaced.   My mechanic told me that he couldn't get replacement fuel lines for the car so had to make them himself.  A 2 day job on the ramp and he said he doesn't want to see the car ever again lol  Shame he's seeing it again in a months time to get the front shocks replaced

Can there be anything more on this car that needs replacing???  On one hand I still really like the car.  On the other hand I know I'm stuck with it for the next while as I've spent too much on it to sell it on anytime soon.

On the plus side I've a nice new 2.5" x 18" centre silencer for the car and plan on getting it fitted in the next week or two.  Fingers crossed it gets rid of the rasp.

Can't really say mate, these cars are getting on now so pretty much anything rubber related may want replacing if they haven't been already at some point! 

Mine is still throwing things at me after I thought I had gotten most of it! Getting fed up as I can't afford to keep doing it right now as I have other priorities so having to drive around the problems at the minute! 

Part of the draw back of us running such old cars ..

You have to stay positive though and remember that once its sorted, it'll run forever!!

• Like 1

I don't mind spending money on old cars tbh when it's general wear and tear items.  I'm usually contented telling myself that I'm spending less on it per month than if I had a new car with higher tax and also to pay finance on (although some months I'm spending pretty close to my old monthly finance figures lol). 

It's discovering previous cheap/nasty/bodge fixes that do my nut in and this car had those in spades.  No more buying cars from spotty yoofs.

Saying that, I did proper laugh at a bodge on my old mk3 Golf.  One of the rear passenger windows didn't go down and when I took the trim off to see if the regulator was broken, I discovered there was no regulator at all and the window was wedged up by some skirting board and some trim off a kitchen unit.

• Like 2

I don't mind spending money on old cars tbh when it's general wear and tear items.  I'm usually contented telling myself that I'm spending less on it per month than if I had a new car with higher tax and also to pay finance on (although some months I'm spending pretty close to my old monthly finance figures lol). 

It's discovering previous cheap/nasty/bodge fixes that do my nut in and this car had those in spades.  No more buying cars from spotty yoofs.

Saying that, I did proper laugh at a bodge on my old mk3 Golf.  One of the rear passenger windows didn't go down and when I took the trim off to see if the regulator was broken, I discovered there was no regulator at all and the window was wedged up by some skirting board and some trim off a kitchen unit.

Thats orginal ! lol

Thing is with most of these cars, the reasons for owning are beyond cost .. (is for me anyway) i had a much newer car that was cheaper on tax and insurance and was in good nick ..

But it isnt one of these .. I see what you mean about others bodges, would be fustrating, but that down to trying to get the history of the car when you buy ..

And also, general wear & tear items are the perfect time fo rupgrades :-D

• Like 1

Thats orginal ! lol

Thing is with most of these cars, the reasons for owning are beyond cost .. (is for me anyway) i had a much newer car that was cheaper on tax and insurance and was in good nick ..

But it isnt one of these .. I see what you mean about others bodges, would be fustrating, but that down to trying to get the history of the car when you buy ..

If mine was about money I'd have sacked it off before new year :lol:

Definitely spent more than it's worth in mods and mines hardly had anything! Reckon it's had it's value in TLC too and there's more it needs!

Thats orginal ! lol

Totally agree. Great cars and are worth looking after. Forget others who see it as a 'Rover' or whatever, these cars are under rated...and i like that in a car as we know, as owners, that they are great, fast, practical cars with a good size boot for family stuff!

• Like 2