It's a loud whirring noise at 35-40mph that disappears at higher speeds...

that sounds like my old gearbox i changed bearings tyres then in the end it just got louder n louder till the bearing rattle kicked in lol when did the gearbox last get a service . Ps not saying it is but check it just in case

that sounds like my old gearbox i changed bearings tyres then in the end it just got louder n louder till the bearing rattle kicked in lol when did the gearbox last get a service . Ps not saying it is but check it just in case

No idea. The car was generally well looked after but I have no idea on the gearbox. I've only owned it a month.

I did record a short video on the way to work about 40mph.

I was certain I could hear a noise but I can't seem to in the video.

http://youtu.be/beVSAtiBi3k

I am using laptop speakers so proper speakers might let you hear it :)

Some good news and finally some pictures!

This arrived today 

aVwZgMr.jpg?1

And here it is fitted

4rJtuX2.jpg?1

Noticed the second screw? Well the original handle had a second screw also.

I guess some clip or something was broken because when I fitted the new handle and pulled the lever, the left side moved and the door didn't open. When I held the left side, the door opened. So that's why there was another screw!

And my old busted one!

x4lZnl4.jpg?1

I think if a bearing has gone you'll get play in it, jack the front up and get hold of the wheel top and bottom and try to wobble it!

Side to side too! And if you spin it, you can hear them if they're really quite I nackered.

• Like 3

Side to side too! And if you spin it, you can hear them if they're really quite I nackered.

i know it sounds stupid to say but the new front tyres are on the right direction as the place that did mine c**ked that up till i pointed it out lol why do tyre places always let the non skilleds do the tyres (its another thing to check at least) keep ya chin up dude it'll get sorted soon

i know it sounds stupid to say but the new front tyres are on the right direction as the place that did mine c**ked that up till i pointed it out lol why do tyre places always let the non skilleds do the tyres (its another thing to check at least) keep ya chin up dude it'll get sorted soon

Yep, both round the right way! :)

I've concluded it's not the gearbox. The noise is consistent no matter which gear. 3rd, 4th, 5th and coasting in neutral.

Does not vary with revs either.

And as for the Gummi Pflege and wind deflectors, it seems to have worked! The windows seem to go up without much effort. Good stuff!

----

Back to the whirring...

Okay, so what I did noticed was that a driveshaft was fitted not long before I bought the car. Short driveshaft as well...

It cost 27.99. How is this even possible? All shafts I see are 130quid or so.

Is possible the wrong shaft could whirr? Worth triple checking the hub nut is torqued correctly?

Yep, both round the right way! :)

I've concluded it's not the gearbox. The noise is consistent no matter which gear. 3rd, 4th, 5th and coasting in neutral.

Does not vary with revs either.

And as for the Gummi Pflege and wind deflectors, it seems to have worked! The windows seem to go up without much effort. Good stuff!

----

Back to the whirring...

Okay, so what I did noticed was that a driveshaft was fitted not long before I bought the car. Short driveshaft as well...

It cost 27.99. How is this even possible? All shafts I see are 130quid or so.

Is possible the wrong shaft could whirr? Worth triple checking the hub nut is torqued correctly?

Sounds like it's worth a look! That does appear very cheap!!

• Like 1

Good news!

The goodies are starting to roll in :)

MG ZS cup holder

ENBG1dE.jpg?1

Annoyingly the pen holder clips are broken so wont have any function holding a pen *damn*.

And fitted

SPZC7M9.jpg?1

The lid wont stay closed with the cup holder fitted, always pops open. Probably a little worn.

Loosened the clip screws and it closes fully :) Some small washers on the screws should sort it!

Some other bits in the post too  :wink:

• Like 1