Meet Roxy! Daves Honda Civic TypeR FN2 (UPDATE: Roxy waving goodbye to Civic5)

Dave

Thanks mate!

Yeah, see thats the problem. Even with it's faults, I love the style of the car and the performance. And the safety! There is nothing else out there that I actually would want to sell her to get. Nothing has the stunning interior, they all look bland in comparison. Same goes for the exterior, there's nothing newish that looks anywhere as good as the FN2. And have to agree, Clarksons review is totally bullshit.  I've found the handling is really sharp, and the power is more than enough.

Mine is totally standard mechanical wise, standard air box/filter etc. Have thought about changing the ECU to Hondata as have heard really good reviews about it. But in honesty think it's bad that the FN2's need a new ECU just to make them drive better, Honda should have made them properly from the start. I think a lot has to do with them trying to get the cars to meet the tougher emmissions requirements for the EU, so they may have rushed the development of them a bit leaving the cars with "issues". But for the money, they are deffo better looking than most of the rivals out there. They still look new even after all this time, and look better than the current 9th gen Civic, which seems to have lost the cutting edge look of the FN's FK's etc.

• Like 2

I get the flat spot when I change gear mainly & 'kangarooing' the same as you describe, worse when cold/warming up but definitely there when up to temperature that's for sure.

If it's not the spark plugs or coil packs I'm told it could be the timing chain, timing itself or guides for the chain, any of which generally involve replacing the chain and guides anyway. I need to get my rocker cover off to check as I suspect my chain is stretched as it is ten years old now and some of the service history would suggest it didn't get fresh oil annually but only when the mileage came up which in some cases was two years! There's also no mention of the spark plugs being replaced so it could still be that.

I get the flat spot when I change gear mainly & 'kangarooing' the same as you describe, worse when cold/warming up but definitely there when up to temperature that's for sure.

If it's not the spark plugs or coil packs I'm told it could be the timing chain, timing itself or guides for the chain, any of which generally involve replacing the chain and guides anyway. I need to get my rocker cover off to check as I suspect my chain is stretched as it is ten years old now and some of the service history would suggest it didn't get fresh oil annually but only when the mileage came up which in some cases was two years! There's also no mention of the spark plugs being replaced so it could still be that.

I get the kangarooing when cold but no flat spots at all since changing MTF. The kangarooing in my case seems to be it fast idles at nearly 2k, so when you dip clutch to stop, it lurches forwards. It's just a characteristic I've gotten used to. If your timing chain is bad/stretched it throws on an EML in an EP3, Mine's fine at 106k/13 years old so I don't see why yours wouldn't be but it all depends on who maintains the car @Krzys :)

With the car due on track at the Mimms meet I just want to be sure, my brother says sometimes they don't throw a light but might still store a code, for the five minutes it'll take to check it's worth a read, plus I can see what's what inside :)

With the car due on track at the Mimms meet I just want to be sure, my brother says sometimes they don't throw a light but might still store a code, for the five minutes it'll take to check it's worth a read, plus I can see what's what inside :)

Fair play, go for it, mine only ever throws up codes for my sports cat lol, apart from the knock sensor one, if the knock sensor goes you'll have an annoying drive home lol

Well, I'm undecided as to what to do about Roxy. Came close to buying another car the on Wednesday! Spotted a really tidy aerodeck 1.6ES (so same model as DD), 1 owner from new, same colour as DD, full honda service history and.........21,000 miles from new! Was so bloody tempted! Told Gayle about it on Thursday, went to show her it on auto trader..........gone! Wasn't even 24 hours and it was sold! It was up for £2000, but to me that was a decent price when you figure the running gear is almost brand new, and the car was mint. OK, wouldn't have the power, but would have been a nice car as a daily. Also looked at another FN1 types, but the 2.2 diesel this time. Just depends on what the outcome with Roxy is. Hopefully it won't come to getting another car but doubting honda will honour their warranty.

Well, I'm undecided as to what to do about Roxy. Came close to buying another car the on Wednesday! Spotted a really tidy aerodeck 1.6ES (so same model as DD), 1 owner from new, same colour as DD, full honda service history and.........21,000 miles from new! Was so bloody tempted! Told Gayle about it on Thursday, went to show her it on auto trader..........gone! Wasn't even 24 hours and it was sold! It was up for £2000, but to me that was a decent price when you figure the running gear is almost brand new, and the car was mint. OK, wouldn't have the power, but would have been a nice car as a daily. Also looked at another FN1 types, but the 2.2 diesel this time. Just depends on what the outcome with Roxy is. Hopefully it won't come to getting another car but doubting honda will honour their warranty.

do your research on the 2.2 diesels, they aren't honda's best engine in the world....

• Like 1

Hmmmm, will have a look on civinfo phil, see what the deal is with them mate. I think I remember reading the gearboxes were a weak point, but its the same with the fn2s. Gear ratios are awesome, but boxes are made out of swiss cheese! Lol

• Dave unpinned this topic