Meet Roxy! Daves Honda Civic TypeR FN2 (UPDATE: Roxy waving goodbye to Civic5)

Dave

Well, not done much to her lately, been too cold tbh! Plus spending a lot of time just trying to keep her clean! This bloody road salt is a nightmare! What I did finally do is adjust the clutch biting point. There was hardly any free play in the pedal at all, so basically when the pedal was around 1cm off the floor, the clutch was fully engaged. This was causing probs with high speed/high revs gearchanges, especially from 1st to 2nd, and sometimes 2nd to 3rd. So found a how to on civinfo.co.uk on how to adjust it, and it's now much, much better! Actually easier to drive now too, and no more crunching. Well, it did crunch once going from 1st to 2nd, but I think that was more driver error than the car!! lol Still got the new plugs to fit to her (again a pain of a job because of how far back the engine sits in the bay. So lots of bits to remove before access can be got!)

Tada! http://www.civinfo.com/forum/how/99643-how-adjust-clutch-biting-point-fn2.html

Really easy to do mate. I take it the ep has the same set up?

I thought it might be similar, without cruise control though. I'll have a look one day! Thanks for the link, doesn't look too difficult to do! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, that's the deck back on the road again! Roxy is now sitting in the dealerships garage awaiting repairs! Here's the list:

1.Gear change. I'd noticed that the gearbox might be faulty (which is common on them, synchros pack in) because when driving "quickly", if I was giving her beans on take off, changing from 1st into 2nd always went with a crunch. Also noticed it sometimes on 2nd to third, and then when going from 4th back into 3rd it was kinda "notchy".

2. Kangaroo driving! When driving her from start up, she was a total nightmare to drive. Pulling away she was really jerky, especially in 1st and 2nd, and would kangaroo down the road. This was a total pain in the ass! When I first reported this to the dealership ages ago, I was informed "they all do this! It's a characteristic of the car/engine". Bullshit I thought! I'd posted on civinfo about it, and there were only one or two that had experienced the same issue. The rest were fine. Just as I suspected! I've never owned a Honda that drove like that, so didn't think it was something any manufacturer would have their car do as a norm. Especially Honda.

3. Flat spot. I'd also noticed there was a definate flat spot when driving. More noticeable at low speeds, but still there whatever the speed/throttle position.

4. Creaking from front passenger suspension when turning the steering.

So, thought right, the car is actually pissing me off every time i drive it, I aint having this! Booked it into the dealership to see what faults would show up, and they got back to me. Now the car is still under extended warranty, with it being an "approved Honda", hence why I've taken it in before the warranty runs out. So here's the results (so to speak) They are awaiting someone from Honda arriving to inspect it.

1. Gear change prob. They told me that it "might be worn synchros, as it did do the fault on test drive. BUT, they won't know until the gearbox is removed. As I am wanting this sorted under warranty (which I think is fair), they won't remove the gearbox unless I sign a disclaimer stating that if Honda deem it isnt that thats faulty, or they deem it "wear and tear", I agree to pay the labour costs for removal/fitting the gearbox. This is over £600! And if that happens it means the gearbox is being refitted with this so bloody obvious fault! So I have had to sign it otherwise they wont go ahead and see whats wrong with it. Feels like they hold a gun to your head!

2. The kangaroo driving. (inconclusive, see fault 3)

3. The flat spot. The car did on their test drive have a flat spot. The technician has found that one of the coil packs on the spark plugs is rusty. The sparkplug this is attached to is also showing signs of corrosion. I asked if this is what is causing the flat spot, the answer being "possibly". I asked if this was causing the kangaroo problem, which was answered no. I then asked if the coil pack and plug would be replaced under warranty, and to obviously see if it cures the problem. They said it depends on whether Honda agree, they may say that is just "wear and tear", so may have to pay for that myself too.

4. Suspension creaking. They think this is due to bearings in the top of the suspension. Again, would it be repaired under warranty then? Depends if Honda declare wear and tear.

I am totally pissed off at this! Wear and tear ffs! The car only has 48 thousand on the clock, had 43 thou when I bought it . So i've done less than 5 thousand miles since I bought it and all these faults have appeared.  This being an "approved car".  I sincerely hope Honda agree to the repairs, and neither them nor the dealer try to back out of forking out for fixing the car. This "wear and tear" answer to any repairs I questioned getting fixed is worrying me.

I have always trusted the Honda brand, and always loved it's products. And I've always sworn by them and recommended them to others. I just hope my faith in Honda isn't about to be damaged. Just can't believe the problems I've had with this car (and the previous FN) and think personally that their new cars don't come anywhere near the quality and build of their older Hondas. I never had any "wear and tear" issues with any of my Civic M's at even higher mileages than that of the TypeR, so seriously believe that they can't say thats the norm for this car.

The cars away until at least the end of next week, so again I'm without my car. Yes, I could have just ignored the faults and kept on driving it, so some would say it's my fault for taking it in there. But the faults are only going to get worse, so I wanted it sorted. Don't see why I should pay over 10 grand for a car full of faults! The saga continues!

Love the FN2 mate, yours looks a minter.

I had my uncles for 2 months whilst he was in another country on business and every problem you're describing I experienced when driving it. It had a flat spot after fitting the HKS RSK and then the K&N Apollo but once he'd fit a flash-pro and had it mapped it sorted out the problem. Not sure if you're running an aftermarket intake but it could be something to look into. The Kangarooing stuff was awful as well, a touch too much throttle when cold and I'd be bouncing down the road with people looking at me. Don't know if he got that sorted but it was annoying. His gearbox wasn't too bad but changing from 2nd into 3rd at the redline would crunch sometimes. Some Redline MTF sorted that to a degree. The creaky suspension was fixed by having the subframe dropped and re-greased. 

Yours looks great though mate, I'd definately try and get those problems sorted so it runs perfect because despite what Clarkson and some EP3 owners say, it's actually a fantastic mix of performance and style/comfort (never drove it on stock suspension).

• Like 1

• Dave unpinned this topic