Replacement Sills

AJCivic

Question

Another MOT fail due to bad rust and holes appearing underneath the car.

I was wondering if replacement sill pieces are available for these Civics and the Rover/MG's too? I'm sure I've seen them for sale in the past. The guy who is hopefully doing the welding was wondering about that rather than patching everything.

I had the jacking point & sill at one side repaired last year and the rest of the sills didn't look all that bad. But this year (plus 6 months due to Covid) that same area has a big hole on the inner sill side, they've got areas at both sides halfway down where they're literally starting to crumble, big chunks were so weak they've been able to be pulled off, as well as that both rear arches have got holes in.

Not going well for the MB which I'd love to save but don't want to pay out for welding every year. :-(

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Yeah I've seen some of the stuff they do and it's very impressive & exciting. Seem like decent guys who know what they're doing as well, if i was nearby it would be worth a visit! 

So I'm having real trouble getting the passenger side lower seatbelt bolt out and it's now part way out and I seriously can't move it. Every time I try it's flexing so much I can hear rust creaking and now this nice hole has appeared nearby on what I thought was just surface rust... :-(

20201109_220015.thumb.jpg.9be1f0adcaca83beb61ae7f31ad0c3f3.jpg

Feels like I'm just discovering more and more jobs now unfortunately. 

• Sad 1

https://alvadi.ee/en/kataloog/varuosa/30806537/12567

Found this link in my thread on the forum, had completely forgotten about it! Do we think those replacement lower sills will fit? Look identical to the earlier Rover 400 sills I saw for sale, don't look exactly like what is on the car now.

They look ok, only thing that kinda gets me in the description is where it says for models "EU" then mb/mc. The 5 door EP style Civic was I think designated the model code "EU" , so not sure if that stands for Europe in this case or if it's for the EU Civics aswell. There sills will almost certainly be different to ours. The year tallys with ours though. For £20 mate you really can't go wrong and if that is the correct ones, let us know. I'll be ordering a pair up (DD's Sills are fine) as I want to start stocking up on what parts we can still get for them for the future.

Regarding the seatbelt bolt. It might need a lot of heat on it to free it up. By the sounds of it, its on route to shear. Not good hearing that crackly rusty sound though, always freaks me out! Id get your welder chap to really give that area a good check to see whats all needed.

I've snapped the seatbelt bolt in the first every mb. Many moons ago. 

It makes for even more of a pain in the a*s trying to repair. 

So as Dave says try really heating it try some wd.

No 100% but possible there lock tighted in because it's a safety device.

Yeah cheers Dave, might be worth a gamble but might be pointless if I've (hopefully!) Got it sorted when it goes and gets sorted. 

Actually ended up calling the welder today to ask a couple questions and he said he was ready for the car! Which was a good surprise, so dropped that off this afternoon for a few days of work, also took a look at the seatbelt bolt area and that's going to be getting done too. 

Fingers crossed it all goes smoothly and I could have the car back by Friday! Then just need an MOT arranging 

• Like 2

Thanks guys, was happy to get it in sooner than expected! Hopefully it'll come back with everything all nice and new, sounded like he was going to have a good dig around and replace anything that's looking bad. 

And hopefully the worst of the rust will be cut out and replaced, so underside of the car will be good for a while. Fingers crossed that goes to plan anyway! applause.gif1

• Like 2