personally speaking id get a Y21 box with Lsd....the teg box is way too short imo...y21 is perfectly adequate for local town/motorway driving and the odd bit of jip....s80 with 4.75FD absolutely hammers juice.....i may be going back to 4.4FD with LSD for the following reasons,

A. longer rev range as opposed to short bursts. i have raced a few other civics with Y21 trannys and iv lost due to having to change gear . by the time im in 2nd gear and accelerating they are coming out of 1st...however they have taken adantage in terms of in higher revrange for longer hence increased distance.

B. Economy. its an absolute killer....S9B i got 60 miles to a tenner...its now halved :shock: Y21 with 4.75FD is 35miles to a tenner...like running a subaru.

so on the continuing hunt for keeping the engine bay cool, I've trimmed some bits of the grill... original top, new one bottom

20110924_002b.jpg

took the opportunity to sand it, prime and repaint it so it looks nice and black again instead of faded grey.

:)

Hi Dr....you will also need the collar for one of the gears on the countershaft PFKL434091 COLLAR, DISTANCE, 36.5X42X30 £24.98...heres the link...part no 8.

http://www.hondaoriginalparts.com/honda ... k_03=19786

....without this its pretty useless....id triple check all this fits together as the diff in the S9B is different...youll be the first on this me thinks...in the pic you can see the difference..the one on the left is 4.75FD and the one on the right is 4.4FD....see the thickness just above the bottom gear on the two pics....go on lings parts website. youll find it there.

004.jpg

so just trying to get me head around this malarky with the gears... :?:

looking at the diagrams of the two countershafts on Lings website, and it looks as though the s9b has the collar built onto the countershaft, whereas the s80 one is a seperate bit.

the guy who'll be doing the job's a honda tech, so I'll run it past him before he starts in case he needs to order the bits.

wrt the diff, when I was emailing mfactory a few months ago, the guy said that the fitting for the gear onto the diff was the same... fingers crossed.. :)

while they've got the box open they're gonna do a bit of a bearing change generally 1"£££$££"!!

the seller emailed today saying he'd just got back off hols and would be sending it out asap... mint :D