MC2 Project - Chassis prep

DeLaSoul

last time I heard 1 ton of copper is worth around £8000

We deal in platinum at work and talk in ounces!  

You should see how much I get out at work in a year  :wink:

I have a load of cable from my old house when I wired the garage into the house.  That should be worth something but I've not gotten around to doing anything with it all.  Job for another day.  I just want to be able to walk properly again so I can get on with the car!  :cry:

Small update as I still can't put any weight on my foot  :sad:

IMG_20130628_230314.jpg

Some more wiring out of the loom.

IMG_20130709_193314.jpg

All sections are now bundled by function in the cabin and ready to route.  The wiring to the rear is all routed all the way up to the boot lid and tidied up so is ready for recovering.  I've got to make the card templates for all the brackets to mount the fuse box and relays and get them made up and welded to the cage.  

Next onto the brake lines:

IMG_20130703_094404.jpg

Need to connect the 3 cylinders to the reservoirs under the bonnet.

IMG_20130709_193324.jpg

Drilled the holes for the through fittings and made up the overbraided lines.  I know need to make up the mount brackets to hold the reservoirs which will hide the lines if I mount it off the back off the shock tower.  Still bit of a mess and I may remake the middle line as I don't like the loop (all I could do in the space as the line it too short for a direct hose fitting)

IMG_20130709_193256.jpg

Had to cut a small section of the inner bulkhead skin away to get the fittings to fit properly.  I still hate cutting the chassis! 

I now need the brackets made and welded in place to finish the wiring and then onto the brake and fuel hardlines.  The fuel cell is due at the end of the month so I can pipe that up and technically start the engine!!

Good work mate! Bet it's not easy with the foot as it is? How is the recovery going with that?

Cheers, at least I could do 70% of this sitting down in the bucket seat with my foot up on the roll cage!  Doc says it could be up to 3 months before all the swelling goes down and I can run again which pee'd me off no end, I'm hoping it won't take that long.  Lost 18kg in the last 6 months and I can finally get in and out of the car without looking like an idiot!  Will have to stick to the bike and weights in the gym for now and try and keep the weight off that way.  Wouldn't wish bruised bones and damaged ligaments on anyone! 

Cheers, at least I could do 70% of this sitting down in the bucket seat with my foot up on the roll cage!  Doc says it could be up to 3 months before all the swelling goes down and I can run again which pee'd me off no end, I'm hoping it won't take that long.  Lost 18kg in the last 6 months and I can finally get in and out of the car without looking like an idiot!  Will have to stick to the bike and weights in the gym for now and try and keep the weight off that way.  Wouldn't wish bruised bones and damaged ligaments on anyone! 

I can imagine! I've lost 2 stone myself over the last 6 months, I'd hate to be laid up right now knowing all my hard work is in jepardy!  

• Like 1

I'm still terrified by the pics of that wiring crazy.gif1

I know what you mean about that loop, hopefully you can hide it. Congratulations on the weight loss, let's hope you can keep it off, so easy to put on especially when you're laid up. :(

I'm still terrified by the pics of that wiring crazy.gif1

I know what you mean about that loop, hopefully you can hide it. Congratulations on the weight loss, let's hope you can keep it off, so easy to put on especially when you're laid up. :(

Wiring is not so bad, just takes time and when I keep changing my mind on the location of the fuse box it only takes longer!

Moved onto the dashboard for now while I figure out where I finally want the ECU and fuse box.

IMG_20130712_174926.jpg

Started with some forming ribs along the dashboards length.

IMG_20130712_174931.jpg

Zip tied the fuse box on place for now and then covered the formers with card to judge the shape

IMG_20130712_202922.jpg

Also allowed me to get the location of the steering column cut out and check the clearances.

IMG_20130712_201225.jpg

You can tell I spent my younger years watching Blue Peter!

Re-fitted the stock centre console just to see how different the location of the new and old ones would be.  It's a lot!  

IMG_20130713_151033.jpg

There is a big gap back from the console to the dash and I know I'm not using the original centre anymore but in this position I can reach the controls still, pushing it back I can't!  Not sure if I should extend the dash out further or extend the console??????

Worried about clearance for my foot and the clutch rest now though  :roll:  This can be solved with a cut out so not so bad!

IMG_20130713_151057.jpg

Took a day off and limped around Goodwood FoS last Thursday in the sunshine!!!!

IMG_20130711_132415.jpg

• Like 1