kinks EG project. B18 turbo

KiNK43

Had my old box in bits this eve. Just kinda as a test run get my head round what does what and how it all works and goes together. I'll be honest its very simple. If you can use basic tools and have a brain cell or two. Sorted.

This box has an issue with second gear. Literally can't select it past 6k Rpm.

Also the box whines/growls at low speed.

I would probably be in trouble if my wife wasn't in bed for messing up kitchen table. Well it has a protector on be fine.

Here is box in pulled apart.

20150419_202629.jpg

I didn't disassemble the countershaft because I have no need to.

I pulled the mainshaft apart to acquire my replacement 4th gear for the gearbox thats in the car now. Here it is looks to be in very good condition.

20150419_204953.jpg

You can see here the damage from grinding reverse by not stopping fully before selecting.20150419_200920.jpg

also the box is noise at low speeds. The input bearing has physical damage and also sounds as rough as a stegosaurus's sphincter! Also the ns diff bearing sounds rough. I'm Suprised cus there flipping huuuuuge!

check video I dunno how to embed it so done it old school. https://youtu.be/NSU566P3mrY

• Like 1

Nice! I've seen the inside of boxes a few times, I imagine they'd be alright to do with a bit of info from people in the know! 

Looks like it's seen better days but I guess that's over 20 years of use and abuse! Couple of new gears, bearings and some syncros would probably see it good as new! 

Oh yeah defo. To be honest though this time round IM gonna replace the input shaft bearing and put this 4th gear in and that will do for now. unless there's any other obvious damage to address.

Can always pull it off again later if need be.

Recon I can have gearbox removed in just over an hour nowadays. So not end of the world. Kinda reminds me of a kids stacking toy to work long as it all goes back in order. Some parts need to go in one way so need to observe the tabs etc. Else it won't be selecting properly.

• Like 1

Filled the torque mounts with polyurethane.

despite having new mounts when engine swapped over. Has always had a little engine movement. Will fill mounts til it improves. Cheap fix.

20150420_205608.jpg20150420_210816.jpg

• Like 2