Burbleboy's VTi-S Build **NOW SOLD 16/12/15**

burbleboy

Sorry for the hijack / detour... :)

It was subject related so your ok!

My mate welded the exhaust fine...I could leave it as it is....but because i'm a fussy fecker....I will book it in to get that full section replaced :(

Hopefully new master cylinder will cure it Ali! 

July Simon!? Christ!!

Well the cylinder is leaking and rod knackered anyway so HAVE to change it. If problem persists then I may look at clutch/syncros.

Not complaining as it's been/still is a fantastic car/buy.

Well the cylinder is leaking and rod knackered anyway so HAVE to change it. If problem persists then I may look at clutch/syncros.

Not complaining as it's been/still is a fantastic car/buy.

Should make a difference then once you've replaced it! 

Well it may appear that it ain't the gearbox as it doesn't crunch in 4th if your careful, as I've gave it a good run at the weekend along the country roads to my pals house, 50 miles away :)

Fingers crossed it's just the cylinder. Shall keep posted. Helps others if they have the same symptoms as me if I come back with an answer.

• 3 weeks later...

Sooooo, I fitted my clutch master cylinder after I found out it was leaking and the rod was totalled. This caused the clutch pedal bite point to be near the floor. Once fitted, the pedal bite point was half way and no free play, which is good.

But the damaged cylinder must have caused the clutch to not disengage properly causing the gear synchros to wear. I am getting tight gears at high revs in 3rd and 4th and even crunches when doing fast gear changes. Gears are fine in normal (town driving). 

Rather than take a chance, I shall replace synchros as this is the likely cause. Clutch getting done as it's pointless not too!

Parts to buy within the next two weeks:

Exedy Clutch (bought) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CIVIC-Exedy-Clutch-Kit-3-Piece-HCK2021-1-8ltr-04-1998-02-2001-/331151240121?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4d1a26ebb9

Slave Cylinder (bought)

1st-5th carbon synchros (bought) http://h-tune.co.uk/mfactory-carbon-lined-synchros-honda-b16a-b16b-b18c-1st-5th.html

Gear shifter bushes (bought) http://www.funkypower.co.uk/catalogue.php?make=HONDA&model=CIVIC&year=1996-00+CIVIC&level1=TRANSMISSION+%26+DRIVETRAIN&level2=SHIFTER+BUSHINGS&level3=&id_product=4229

MTF fluid (bought)

Honda Bond sealer (bought)

Those Carbon synchros .. Aside from ubber coolness and scene points, are there any performance advantages?

I think they're meant to be stronger/harder wearing?

Either way I believe this is a job that shouldn't need to be visited again in the life of the gearbox! 

Those Carbon synchros .. Aside from ubber coolness and scene points, are there any performance advantages?

They are stronger made and meant to increase shift speedsl. Well that's what I read anyway! Honda are about £500 for parts as the synchros don't come separate. So I had only this choice really. Wasn't wanting an untested 2nd hand box. This way I know it's done and will last.

• Like 1