Feck's 1999 Civic

feck_on_a_stick

Oh dear... :\ Why are you looking for something non jap? Jap is proabably the most reliable cars :lol:

I'd generally agree with you, and maybe I've just bought the wrong Honda this time round.

I've just found replacement parts for Jap stuff so much more expensive in comparison to say German stuff that I've owned. I know that might be a pretty sweeping statement but I guess it might come down to things such as Jap exchange rates and so many parts on German cars being available due to being shared amongst different brands and platforms say on VAG stuff.  Lazy or clever engineering lol

Driving-wise, Jap stuff has almost always been so much better, but it gets harder to justify when I look at what I've spent each month running this car eg Just under £300 in May on four new tyres, £250 in June getting new brake and fuel lines fitted and £130 for 6 months tax, £190 last month on two new shocks fitted, and I've a service due, which I've been putting off for a month just to get a month off spending money on it.  That's £870 in 4 months alone, never mind all the other bits and bobs that I chose to replace over the last 10 or 11 months like new pads/brakes/underseal/thermostat/ABS sensors/sump/oil seals.............  I'm sure I could have done it all cheaper but I had been planning to keep the car a couple of years so wanted better quality parts than eBay specials and budget tyres.  I could lease/finance a new car for less per month, which was what I was trying to get away from doing in the first place lololol

Thats certainly a whack of cash thats been spent mate .. In my eyes though, id be tempted to say. you've put it in, why quit now ??

Also, im not sure what things you've replaced etc across genres, but my dad and most of my family drive VAG stuff and although i will openly admit Honda isnt the cheapest ... Some of the parts ive replaced on their cars were mega expensive for what they were!

My old mans passat for example, IIRC an outter CV joint was just shy of £60 .. Its half that price for one on ours ..

Possibly a sweeping statement earlier on my part, and I know this really isn't the place for anti-Honda feelings lol

I was thinking more specifically engine parts though, like coil packs for example for my Audi were cheaper from Seat as that 1.8T engine appeared in VW, Audi, Seat and Skodas lol

Relevant to me, I needed an aftermarket sump for the Civic and I was quoted £200 for a new sump from Honda. I couldn't find an aftermarket replacement part anywhere else and ended up paying £100 for a used one.  If I needed one for the Audi I could order a brand new one for a VW Polo at less than £50.

I'll def agree that suspension parts for VAG stuff can be dear and pretty unreliable too.  I've been through more CV Joints, bushes, suspension arms and coil springs than I can count lol

Swings and round abouts mate really isnt it .. Cheaper in one aspect, more expensive in another .. We could debate all day ;-)

But i know what i'll be driving for the coming years .. :P

• Like 1

Well other half Sarahfr has errrrrr an seat fr and must say the parts are not that cheap I think something's are cheaper than honda then some are not by a long way . Mmm yer I got a new tank for trinityD came from Germany you can see it on project as I got it dipped

• Like 1

I just needed to come home, suck it up and down a big pint of man-the-f**k-up, as my girl whining earlier was frankly embarrassing lol

You're right @Grant. I just need to stick at it.

If I don't get sorted with a used tank @DAVEMB2 can you remember where you got your tank from?